DR Chipper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Fox

Jan 12, 2006
Does anyone have any experience with the DR chipper? I am thinking of buying one that will operate off the PTO of my tractor. With the drought here in the Southeast, there is a statewide ban on open fire buring, so I can't burn them, and probably won't be able to for quite some time. I have a DR walk behind brush hog and a DR string trimmer on wheels, and both are top quality. I suspect the quality of the chipper is top notch, but I am wondering about how fast and how well they chip (reportedly will do a 4.5 inch log). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I live a couple of miles from the DR factory. I've seen the PTO driven chipper in their factory store, and it looked pretty nice. Lighter than a commercial unit, but solid and well made. I was in the factory store yesterday and they didn't have one on display at that time, so I can't go back and look at it to answer any specific questions.

They've offered to let me borrow any piece of equipment for evaluation, but I'm not inclined to do that at 5 degrees, even for a fellow hearth.com member. Sorry.

Thanks for the info. I contacted DR after receiving a brochure in the mail, indicating a lower price for 2007 clearance models in prep for the 2008 models which will be coming out at the beginning of 2008. I got on the DR website and it said the 2008 models will have improved features. So I called them to obtain info on the "improved features" to determine which would be better for me; buying a current model at the reduced price, or waiting and buying a new model. I was given "top secret information." The 2008 models will have a bigger hopper, a heavier flywheel, and will chip at a faster pace. The 2008 models will have a price increase, but I think the improvements are significant and have decided to wait for the improved version. Your feedback has affirmed my decision. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.