Draft Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
well, just got home from Albany, NY after a week to find a stove that has zero draft.

Kind of mind boggling as I cleaned the chimney just before I left. Am hoping it is just an animal that has gotten into the chimney, but will not know until tomorrow. Just the way i wanted to spend my first day home......

Remkel said:
well, just got home from Albany, NY after a week to find a stove that has zero draft.

Kind of mind boggling as I cleaned the chimney just before I left. Am hoping it is just an animal that has gotten into the chimney, but will not know until tomorrow. Just the way i wanted to spend my first day home......

You should have stopped by while you were in the area. I could have given you some of mine, I think I have too much draft.

Let us know what (who) you find in there. Santa has been missing since Christmas, hope it's not him.

Remi,

Did you try a fire and fill the room with smoke?

Cheers,

Jacques

Didn't the draft end in 1974?

NH_Wood said:
Remi,

Cheers,

Jacques

Luckily I only had some kindling in the stove and just let it burn out. My wife reports the draft has been poor all week.

I opened the front doors and smoke puffed out (very interesting as once I get the draft going it is a monster!) Opened the top and had some flame coming up, so like I said, just shut it up and let it burn out. Will be taking the pipe off tomorrow after the girls karate tournament.

NH_Wood said:
Remi,

Cheers,

Jacques

Luckily I only had some kindling in the stove and just let it burn out. My wife reports the draft has been poor all week.

I opened the front doors and smoke puffed out (very interesting as once I get the draft going it is a monster!) Opened the top and had some flame coming up, so like I said, just shut it up and let it burn out. Will be taking the pipe off tomorrow after the girls karate tournament.

Battenkiller said:
Remkel said:

You should have stopped by while you were in the area. I could have given you some of mine, I think I have too much draft.

Let us know what (who) you find in there. Santa has been missing since Christmas, hope it's not him.

Had I known you were in the area I would have stopped in. I travel to Albany somewhat regularly for meetings and the such. I will be certain to let you know next time I will be in the area.

Draft is never an issue, which makes this even more puzzling. Guess I will send the sooteater through again. Maybe there is something up at the top that is plugging the chimney. I don't go on my roof (too high, too much snow, and a 10 pitch).

Iced up?

BeGreen said:

That was a thought too. I looked at the top when I started the fire- was getting some smoke out of there, but nothing like I should have. If it is ice, that would be a first- the fire pretty much goes 24/7.

I will have to see tomorrow after I send the cleaner through again. I will be interested to see if I get stuck at the top of the chimney.

Interesting, keep us informed.

Thanks,
Shawn

Remkel said:
NH_Wood said:
Remi,

Cheers,

Jacques

Will be taking the pipe off tomorrow after the girls karate tournament.

If I had karate girls around here I wouldn't have had to buy that Fiskars SS.

Get out the binoculars and inspect the cap screen. A bottom up brushing doesn't always clean that out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.