Draft Voltage Adjustment on XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

defrob

Jul 3, 2011
CT
I just had an XXV installed and, of course, the dealer installers did not test the draft voltage. Has anyone needed to adjust this after install? Or are the factory settings ok?

if you're not on top of a hill, deep in a valley, don't have 30 ft of pipe, or a very small vacuum tight house, then chances are the factory setting will do just fine. no worries.

yes, factory settings usually suffice. Dont try to self-adjust it without a magnahelic, which measures draft. The dealer really should have done the draft test, as initial readings can be VERY important in diagnosing possible later issues. But, no worries, will likely be ok.

Call them back and have them do their job! They made more than a thousand bucks just for selling the stove, then they add labor to install plus whatever profit they made on the venting, is 20 minutes of their time to much to ask?...later on down the line when you are having issues, it would be really great to reference the install pressure to see if perhaps the combustion motor is still performing as it should...if you do not have a benchmark to reference...you're just swapping parts. I'm sure your dealer will be happy to sell you parts and more labor to guess at the problem.
Gosh, do I sound bitter?

If I do the test myself, is there a specific magnehelic gauge I should use?

You do not need to use a magnehelic, you can also use a manometer...those are cheaper. You need something that can do under .001- 1" of WC. What you are looking to do is adjust the draft to the lowest possible setting. Follow the directions in the manual. What ever you register the stove at, its great to be able to reference that later on. You may have a situation where the stove is clean and you have done everything you can but the burn is still not good. If your draft reads lower, chances are you have an unseen obstruction..if you are certain you do not, and voltage is good to the motor, then your motor is getting weak. That's why you want to the installed draft reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.