Drafting the Nor' Easter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
So anybody else out there having fun yet? Holy smokes-shiver me timbers I'm not sitting under that big Poplar hanging over the house aimed right where I sit. :shut:

Running a little hot tonight. tried to damper down earlier but started to smell some smoke so opened up and let her breathe all night. Went easy early on as I could her some sizzle from burning less than seasoned wood-cleared that out and kicked it in the a$$. No smokey smell since. Gonna load some really big seasoned cherry splits before bed.

hareball said:
So anybody else out there having fun yet? Holy smokes-shiver me timbers I'm not sitting under that big Poplar hanging over the house aimed right where I sit. :shut:

Running a little hot tonight. tried to damper down earlier but started to smell some smoke so opened up and let her breathe all night. Went easy early on as I could her some sizzle from burning less than seasoned wood-cleared that out and kicked it in the a$$. No smokey smell since. Gonna load some really big seasoned cherry splits before bed.

We're just getting the beginnings of it up here in VT, several hours delayed from predictions. Since I'm out in the country, no streetlights and can't see what's going on out there, but there's now a nearly constant roaring from the wind, I'd guess 30 mph or a bit more. Luckily, the 18 inches of very heavy wet snow we got yesterday gradually fell off the branches during the day today, so they aren't laden down with weight. Constant rumpty-bump-thump, though, of big clumps of snow sliding off my steeply pitched metal roof, which is unnerving both me and the cats from time to time.

Not having any problems with my stove, but it's so warm out, high 30s, that I'm not trying for serious burns.

I really miss Vermont. I spent a lot of time in Guilford.

We are at 12 °F right now with wind chill

Just took the dog out. It's up over my knee's now and still coming down hard & fast.

hareball said:
I really miss Vermont. I spent a lot of time in Guilford.

We are at 12 °F right now with wind chill

Vermont is... what can I say? It's the best. I'm a fairly recent transplant from the Boston suburbs myself, having worked a good 25 years to be able to get here.

Dunno what the wind chill is here at the moment, and don't care since I have no need or desire to go out until this wind storm is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.