drilling concrete precasts steps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
I got the 1" rotary hammer drill from Harbor Freight and am drilling 5/8" holes and am installing railing around some precast steps using 3/8 lead bolt anchors and every hole I drill blows out the concrete on the back side of the holes. I have to drill clear thru because the steps are only 2-1/2" thick in most spots. Is there a diamond hole drill less aggressive or a different method. I won't have much steps left as they'll be all busted up by the time I get the railing mounted. Help. Thanks bjr23

Possibly a smaller hammer drill with more speed & less impact such as a Bosch 1/2" 2 speed model.I've had mine for 21 yrs,gets used quite a lot still.Nice thing it works on masonry,wood or metals just by flipping the switch from hammer/drill to drill only mode.Can drill holes & drive screws into material that my 1/2" Dewalt cordless wont even budge. Use 1/4" hexhead Tapcons with a 3/16" bit.They should have enough strength to hold up against any abuse or shock with the railing.

bjr23,
I'm thinking that i'd drill a small pilot hole maybe without using the hammer drill
and go at it from both sides a little at a time with the correct size.
May take a bit more work but should keep from blowing it out.
good luck
rn

Is there any way to back up the work area with a piece of scrap wood. Something like that attached to the backside of the step may prevent the blowout.

Semipro said:
Is there any way to back up the work area with a piece of scrap wood. Something like that attached to the backside of the step may prevent the blowout.

+1 thats what you want to do.

You could try to drill a hole top and bottom and get them to meet in the middle... but good luck getting that to line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.