Drolet eco-45 (and possibly eco-35) Removing Left Baffle For Cleaning- Not for the Faint-Hearted-(bu

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete324rocket

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2007
albert county, new brunswick
So I finally got to doing a full cleaning on my Drolet eco-45 pellet stove, and with the instruction book out to follow all the steps, I have been neglecting the removal of the left baffle (see page 17, figure 22.) The problem is, they fastened this panel with phillips screws, and although they are a pretty screw, when it comes to using them in the burn chamber area,it is a mistake even my little sister would avoid,especially when the rest of the stove is fastened together with cap head screws and some Robertsons(a superior screw) as well. So this is what you are faced with. Drilling them out(not easy),trying to get a grip on them with vice-grips( a possibility-brand new grips) or a nicely sharpened cold chisel. I have used all three to get the panel off. Resign yourself to using fewer self-tapping cap screws of the same size with a socket on a drill to put the panel back on.And not too tight,because you want to get it off again,so back it off manually after the drill tightens it. You can access the pointed end of two of the right hand screws by opening the left side panel door-vice grips may be useful here.
Behind this baffle,there is an opening(see picture) that leads on a square pathway to the exhaust fan. Mine was partially blocked with ash, and was the cause of having to reset the stove upon initial start-up due to a pressure(P) error.(it would always start the second time) This would be important if you were running a thermostat to not have this happen. I don't know if they are still using phillips screws and maybe they have changed but if you have a new stove,change them or be prepared to tackle the job yourself or pay someone. It was very time consuming, so be prepared to pay. I did manage to get a couple screws moving using vice-grips on the heads but they only broke off. And yes,I have good screw-drivers.

Attachments

• IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 267
Status
Not open for further replies.