Dry Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is cherry over two years old which we are burning, thought I would test a smaller and medium split. This being our second year burning wood and the wood dryer this year we have been able to close down the air more on the Lopi Liberty.

I pushed the pins in has far as possible. The cherry looks like it was just cut but this was stacked in the woods in a area that received wind but little sun, then stacked on the northeast side of the house for two months with wind and sun.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1716.jpg
    100_1716.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 100_1719.jpg
    100_1719.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 307
wood spliter said:
I love that cherry Zap. Its right next to locust.

I never burned locust, how is it compared with cherry.

zap

According to various BTU charts, locust will burn hotter than cherry. I've never burned locust either, although I was blessed with 2+ cords of free cherry this year.
Dries fast and smells great.

Locust burns like it has a third more btus per cord than cherry. Is your avatar pic fresh snow Zap? We are supposed to get a little tonight.

I've got a 1/2 cord of 1 Y/O split cherry ready at the Dixettes door, to feed the new Timber Ridge, along with some 6 month old white pine, and older oak, etc.

This pyro cannot wait :)

I even have her kindling and shoulder wood ready ;-)

SolarAndWood said:
Locust burns like it has a third more btus per cord than cherry. Is your avatar pic fresh snow Zap? We are supposed to get a little tonight.

Don't say that Solar, the avatar is the last snow storm in April 2010. We are supposed to get a mix of snow and rain tonight also.

zap

homebrewz said:
According to various BTU charts, locust will burn hotter than cherry. I've never burned locust either, although I was blessed with 2+ cords of free cherry this year.

I just took down a honey locust last week that was standing 90% dead. 1/3 of it was garbage, ate up with insects and the rest I spilt up.
From the look of it has very little moisture and is ready to go this year.

Deron said:
homebrewz said:

I just took down a honey locust last week that was standing 90% dead. 1/3 of it was garbage, ate up with insects and the rest I spilt up.
From the look of it has very little moisture and is ready to go this year.

I took down a dead standing sugar maple that took over one week and the m/c was down to 17-19 percent from 27 percent, loading some tonight for the overnight burn.

zap

Dead standing wood aka "seasoned on the hoof" wood is great stuff.. it saves me when I fail to plan ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.