Drying Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggans

Oct 11, 2009
Michigan
After splitting dose the wood have to dry outside covered or not , or can it be dried inside a barn or shed, out of the sun and rain?

Exposed to the wind and sun, with plenty of air flow in between the stacks is probably the most common advice you'll get here. Some people cover it right away, others like to leave it uncovered until a couple of months before they start to burn it. I stack some of mine tightly in a small woodshed with minimal airflow and no exposure to the sun and it seems to season just fine. I think the important thing is to keep it off the ground and give it plenty of time to season and you should be fine. Some species like Oak and Hickory can take 2 or more years to dry adequately. Good luck, and have fun stacking!
Rich

I have some Locus I cut down and chopped up last October. I will split the big logs this spring. Will it be ready for next year?

ggans said:
I have some Locus I cut down and chopped up last October. I will split the big logs this spring. Will it be ready for next year?

Depends on how far down you split it and where you stack it. Big huge splits stacked in shade and no wind, no, it won't be ready. Split it down to 4 or 5 inches max and stack it loosely in full sun and wind, you're probably OK. Another year would be better, but you can get away with less time in the right conditions.

I should say I don't really know about locust since I've never burned it. The above is what it takes for rock maple, beech, red oak, black birch, etc.

Ggans, If its the same locust we have in the northeast, it will be ready. It has the 2nd lowest green moisture content behind white ash. Split some big, for overnight burns. I use that and oak for overnight mixes. Some are too big to lift with one hand. Split it in march and cross stack it. Our locust is pretty staight and lends itself to cross stacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.