Dummy question on the Oslo.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Oslo was installed 2/11/10 ('twas a lovely winter day!) Did all the burn in fires at that time. Stove has been sitting, cleaned out, since then waiting for it's first full season. Here's the dummy question: Do I have to do any small fires at first because it has just been sitting all summer or can I just go full steam ahead when the heating season starts?

Shari

Hi! I am sure the experts will chime in soon, but I believe you are supposed to do a couple of small break in fires every season. I will be following to see responses also...

Joe,

I know the soapstone stoves have to have small fires at the beginning of each season to take the moisture out but not sure about my Oslo.

We will wait here together for one of the gurus to answer.....

Shari

Edit: Well, I thought Jotul recommends a couple smaller fires at the beginning of the season before running it with a full charge. However, I just went through the Jotul docs from the F3CB to the F600 and do not see a mention of this. They only go over the primary breakin. A quick look in the Isle Royale and Defiant manuals do not mention the 1st of the season breakin. Hmm. I know I've read this, but now am not sure where. But as far as I can tell from the stove makers, no problem starting off the season with a modestly good fire.

Congratulations on your Feb install. I remember you preparing for the delivery last winter. When February came, we were inundated with snow, far more than we normally get. So I was probably not keeping track of the forum at that time.

A couple break-in fires won't hurt. Although, the cement and fit of the panels should be cured. I did read in another post that it is a good practice to do a break-in fire at the beginning of each season. However, I am no expert either.

BeGreen said:
Jotul recommends a couple smaller fires at the beginning of the season before running it with a full charge.

Thanks, guru BeGreen! I knew someone would know the answer!

Shari

I don't. I just load'em and go. But do one or two before it gets too cold. You will feel better and don't need a lot of heat then anyway.

OK, after reading through many cast iron stove docs, so far only Hearthstone is recommending the 1st of the season break in fire. It seems like not a big deal. Our first fires are always during more moderate weather and rarely more than a 3 split fire.

My Oslo manual only mentions startup fires on the very first breakin. Nothing about subsequent seasons.

The cast iron isn't going to care. The only thing I can see that might benefit from a gentle start to the season is the firebricks, and only if they have any tendency at all to pick up moisture, and only if the stove sat in a very humid environment. I don't know enough about firebricks to know if this is a problem or not.

I figure that my first couple of autumn burns will be gentle ones anyway, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Shari,
Seems its not such a "dummy" question after all. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.