Dura-Vent PelletVent "Installer Question"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmjr

Feb 16, 2010
Corners of PA-OH-WV
PLANNING........

I'm working up my plan of attack of what would make a proper install for a pellet insert. (Don't own one yet)

It is going into a existing "center of the house" brick fireplace w/ 12"X12" terracotta flue w/ 20-3/4" offset.

No outside exposure except attic and outside above roof.

I have been doing my homework and have the material list compiled.

From vert. cap down reqs. st. vert. 17' pipe...then 45deg...24"piece pipe ...45deg...~60"flex pipe...Tee w/c.o....to adapter...into Stove/Insert.

What puzzle me...How tricky is it connect the lower two 45deg and combined 24' piece w/ flex onto the 17' piece up inside flue at top of offset?

I suspect I might be told to just get more flex??? But, JUST had to ask ;)

Any and all opinions of all other aspects or concerns are welcome.

Thanks in Advance

You won't catch this bear trying that install.

I don't see how you can even get the joints together let alone get three screws in each one.

You'd need to be able to reach the 17' section from within the fireplace and I just don't see the space to do the job.

Simpson says: "Screws NOT Required"...but I DO understand the "Desire"

Master of Smoke said:
Simpson says: "Screws NOT Required"...but I DO understand the "Desire"

You might want to take a look at both the prevailing code in your area and what the stove manufacturer has to say in the matter. Yes both of those folks can make something that is optional according to Simpson required.

why not just use a liner? I hate joints inside an unaccessable area such as a chimney.....just a thought!

Lousyweather said:
why not just use a liner? I hate joints inside an unaccessable area such as a chimney.....just a thought!

+1. Use a 4" flexible SS liner all the way to the thimble or tee.

DAKSY said:
Lousyweather said:

+1. Use a 4" flexible SS liner all the way to the thimble or tee.

I agree 100%. Use the liner, and make your life easier.

Thanks for all the replies!

So, I should "Bump" this up to 4"...what condition causes this?...just so I understand. I'll quess...overall lenth and combined bends.

Now this liner...it will need to be insulated as well. I'll opt for foil wrap and mesh method. Or, is there a pre-fab assembly I'm unaware of?

I don't want any condensation dripping out of the Tee behind the insert...condensation in vent and ash mixed would be bad for the whole vent system.

And I see flex liners made w/ male - female ends and some w/ square cuts and hose clamps.

Any advantages/disadvantages?

They both claim to be UL1777 when insulated.

Don't have any Codes here that I'm aware of...but I still have my Code...My Family and I have to sleep here each night!

[quote author="Master of Smoke" date="1266477453"]Thanks for all the replies!

So, I should "Bump" this up to 4"...what condition causes this?...just so I understand. I'll guess...overall length and combined bends.

Basically, anything OVER 15 ft needs to be 4". Might as well run 4" all the way to the tee or thimble so you can clean the entire length with one size brush

Now this liner...it will need to be insulated as well. I'll opt for foil wrap and mesh method. Or, is there a pre-fab assembly I'm unaware of?

Foil wrap with the wire mesh retainer should do you fine.

I don't want any condensation dripping out of the Tee behind the insert...condensation in vent and ash mixed would be bad for the whole vent system.

There shouldn't be anything dripping out if you install correctly

And I see flex liners made w/ male - female ends and some w/ square cuts and hose clamps.

Any advantages/disadvantages?

I've used both & prefer the hose clamp style, but have never had a problem using screws

They both claim to be UL1777 when insulated.

Don't have any Codes here that I'm aware of...but I still have my Code...My Family and I have to sleep here each night!

That's the most important thing to consider!

Thanks DAKSY

Your input is appreciated along w/ all others here.

It's great to be a part of this community!!!

Shared knowledge benefits all in many ways.

I'll sleep better w/ knowledge I have received here.

Thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.