DuroRock and NFPA211

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Jan 22, 2012
NorthWest Virginia
Hi,

I am looking for a list of NFPA 211 allowed surfaces.

I am building an alcove(room is too small) for my Hearthstone Homestead wood stove. I need to know what to line the walls with.
Can I use fire-retardent sheet rock or duro-rock and attach it to 2x4's?

Thanks,

Dave

Soapstoner said:
Hi,

I am looking for a list of NFPA 211 allowed surfaces.

I am building an alcove(room is too small) for my Hearthstone Homestead wood stove. I need to know what to line the walls with.
Can I use fire-retardent sheet rock or duro-rock and attach it to 2x4's?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave, what are the clearances to combustables from your manual? The Blaze King Princess I am working on installing has 10" side clearance to combustables. So, at the 10" point it doesn't matter if I have drywall, tongue and groove wood or whatever. If you are trying to create a shield because you don't have enough clearance, someone more experienced will have to help with that.

If you're going to attach the material directly to the wall studs, then it doesn't matter what you use, it's a combustible wall, and you'll need to very carefully follow all the stove manufacturer's specified installation clearances to combustibles, including any additional restrictions pertaining to alcoves. Rick

Welcome soapstoner. There is no real such thing as an NFPA wall, but there is such a thing as a wall shield meeting NFPA requirements for clearance reduction, IF the stove manufacturer permits clearance reductions. Fortunately the Heritage does. In order to make an NFPA wall shield, the non-combustible material (durock, sheet metal, etc.) needs to be suspended on spacers that maintain a 1" air gap behind it and it must be open top and 1" at the bottom to allow good heat ventilation. How it's constructed depends on the material and final finish that you want facing the room. The wall shield only needs to go 6" above the stove top. Pay attention to stove pipe clearances too. The are a separate issue, 18" for single wall in all directions, 6" for double wall to the wall and 8" to the ceiling.

One thing that really concerns me about the Heritage's alcove spec is the top clearance. I highly recommend that you greatly exceed the listed 24" clearance unless good steps are taken for protection. If the ceiling will be sheetrocked, then follow the 57" min. above the stove top. How tall will the ceiling be in the alcove?

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

Attachments

• heritage clear.jpg
    heritage clear.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 162
Status
Not open for further replies.