Dutchwest stove help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chansen

Dec 16, 2008
upstate ny
New to the site and new to buring and was wondering if I ould get some help.

Let me start from the begining. Bought a used Dutchwest 2478 stove 2 years old. Finished installing last week and have been burning for a week. I have read all the great threads on burning and reviewed the videos on everburn. Everything I think is going very good. Fuel is mainly oak a little punky/wet so it takes a little longer to get up to temp 320 stove pipe (Single wall mag temp gauge) and stove top at 450-500 with air control down around 50%.

Anyway was a little warm out yesturday so I let the fire go out last night and would start again this morning. While cleaning out the fire box I noticed a crack it what looks to be (per the owners manual diagram) the shoe refractory. Also upon exploring a little more noticed some pcs of brittle ceramic laying in the back in front of the shoe fractory. I have tried to attach some pics.

I don't know if I bought it like this or something I did (running to hot at start ups or to long without dampering down). Question is am I down till I can replace it or can I still burn.

Attachments

• 12-15-08-032.gif
    12-15-08-032.gif
    213 KB · Views: 265
  • 12-15-08-033.gif
    12-15-08-033.gif
    232.5 KB · Views: 263
looks like pieces of the refractory in the ceramic thing...

i would keep burning till the season is over.. keep an eye on things so you don't overfire it, then replace it in the spring

Status
Not open for further replies.