Dutchwest Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydestone

Jan 11, 2006
At 83 my grandfather finally threw in the towel and purchased a gas stove...he can no longer tend to the stove...and he is not happy about it!

Anyway, I currently heat with a Jotul 602 and am debating whether or not to switch the Dutchwest hand-me-down from my grandfather. I don't know much about them and have never even heard of the brand. It has a blower, catalytic converter, and much more capacity that my little Jotul.

Any thoughts on this stove? The other issue I have is that the label on the back says to install an 8" pipe. I cannot fit a pipe that large up my chimney...only 6". Any thoughts on this issue?

There are many different models of DW....some older one were pretty bad, and some newer ones are pretty good.

In any case, the units with an 8" flue are likely to be HIGH heat output models. Can you get a model # or a pic?
http://www.discountstove.com/cdwidguide.html

Ok, I just checked it and its a 2462 extra large heater. The manufacturing date code is 338. Any ideas?

Relatively newer model - not a bad stove! Big, big, big.
I have my doubts as to whether this can be reduced....I know their Encore can, but not sure on this unit.
From the manual:

The Model 2462
heater should be vented into a masonry chimney with a
nominal flue size of 8” x 8” (200 mm x 200 mm) square,
or 8” (200 mm) round.

Manual available here:
http://www.cfmcustomercare.com/content/manuals/index.cfm

Tell us more about your chimney.....

well i have the medium in a 1800 sq ft house and it's working well... i imagine the bigger ones must really heat up...

can't say whats the better choice though as i'm new to this wood stove thing

This came up some time ago, when I was considering the large DW catalytic. I didn't want to replace my entire chimney with 8". From what I remember...some guy named "elk" said you could match up a 6" flue collar onto the large DW cat. and that it was listed, but he was corrected by someone else saying it wasn't listed. In any case, the dealer that I almost got a large DW catalytic from said he does it all the time. Not saying that it is appropriate, but that it can be and is done on a regular basis. I don't know why not - there is another VC brand that you can switch to a 6" pipe from 8", but it eliminates the option of burning with the doors open (I can't remember which model, Defiant????). Anywho, there might be someone on here that has this setup.

By the way, I still love those DW catalytic stoves. I always got very consistant results, and I don't feel that they are any more difficult to operate than the NC models. An extra lever to turn, but easy and reliable...

Unfortunately the flur collar is too high. right now I have a small Jotul setup that barely makes it into the firebox. When i put the DW on the hearth it is too high. i would have to core into the front of the mantle brick and tap into the side of the flue or go up through the roof. Either way my wife is dead set against it since we may be looking to move next year!

Right now it is parked in my garage waiting!

If my memory serves me correctly (no guarantee of that anymore)...

I think you can take the legs off of this stove, assuming that you have a completlely non-combustible hearth (i.e. earth or concrete under it with no framing, plywood, etc, etc.). Get on vermont castings' web site and download the manual for this (if you don't have it already). It will tell you what your installation options are... this might be enough to allow you to use the rear exit with your current set-up.

I have a granite hearth that sits on 2 layers of Micore 300 board which sits on oak flooring.

Assuming that is not a code violation or fire hazard, do you think the heat of the stove would pop and spawl the granite?

That's definitley over my head. But, like I said, check the manual out and see what the requirements are. If it turns out the "no leg" option is suitable and safe at your place, you might want to put up another post here to see what others say about the granite issue. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.