E-10 and chainsaws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluttermagnet

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2008
Mid Atlantic
I've seen this topic in here before. Another article about E-10 and the harm it can do to chainsaws, snowmobiles, etc.

Snowmobilers: E10 a bad mix
http://www.sunjournal.com/story/299936-3/RiverValley/Snowmobilers_E10_a_bad_mix/

I have a Homelite 16in 33cc, less than a year old. My first saw. I'm sure I must have run a dozen or two tanks of regular through it by now, probably most of it E-10. I wonder how much harm I might have done to it. Nothing going bad on it so far. Maybe I should look for that additive they mention in the article? Or cough up the extra bucks for high test?

Cluttermagnet said:
Or cough up the extra bucks for high test?

I always burn premium in my saw based on a recommendation by my local Husky technician. I am using Stabil's Marine Formula for ethanol as well. I know the Husky oil has stabilizer already in it but for the few extra cents I can at least say I tried something if my saw dies!

Been discussed on here a couple 'o times...most notably:

Issues with Ethanol
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/27325/

ethaneol
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/24937/

Best Gas / Ethanol??
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19797/

In short, some swear by it, some swear at it. But, generally, your owners manual will usually indicate if it's ok to use E10 or not....most likely will say it's OK on any saw built in the past decade or two.

For the record, I've used E10 gas in two chain saws, weed eater, leaf blower, lawnmower, log splitter, three jet skis and E85 in my car and truck now for 3+ years (f@$% OPEC and the other middle east terrorists!) and never had a fuel related issue with any engine.

Aha, found this thread and I need to buy another gallon of gas for my Husky 359 for this season's cutting. I think it is hard to find non-ethanol gas around here in northern NJ, if anybody does know of one, let me know, other than that, I will try the premium fuel method, it's only like 20-30cents more than regular here..

Jay

you would think that as leaded fuel pretty much went out 20 years ago and the quality of steel used nowadays for these parts is so much improved that that would not be the problem ?
are you sure you had the correct oil mix ?
didnt grab the wrong can ?
these things can happen
rustynut

I am a little concerned for my 1980 Husky 162SE. I just make sure I don't have her too lean. I tend to run lean, clean, and scream. I also never have her wide open without a load on her (a good workout of a cut) to keep RPM's in check. Heck, the old girl will sit there and happily idle as long as you want her to without loading up.

Steve

Thanks for the note iblonger, I checked Citgo's website and there is one near where I work, just off the highway where I usually go by, shall stop by and inquire... Can't be too safe I guess. My 359 is only like 2 years old but the manual with the Husky says nothing other than use 87-octane unleaded gas or greater.. Says nothing about Ethanol.

Jay

Glad to help. Just be careful if you cut with friends they tend to gravitate to your gas when they see how much better it runs.

This topic has been discussed many times over on arboristsite and most everyone (but not all) agree that as long as you don't let gas set for long periods of time, (both e-10 & non e-10), that you should never have any problems due to fuel.

I only buy my saw gas 1 gal at a time, and shake it up before I fill my saw's. E-10 is here to stay till they come up with another fuel mix to force on us. With the exception of a few stations 80% of all gas station in the US sale e-10. Maybe 90% by now. All the saw manufactures know this as well with the new EPA reg..

Up here, 91 octane with no ethanol is the best you can get.

PetroCan, right up the street sells it. But now they've been bought out by Suncor, so ethanol appears to be on the horizon.

I'm not going to pay for farm/petroleum subsidising and corn shortages when I can avoid it, so Esso will be all that's left.

Did notice a vast improvement when I quit using ethanol laced gas, even at 91 octane.

Status
Not open for further replies.