E-Classic Short Stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antos_ketcham

Mar 5, 2008
Trying an experiment. I had 12 feet of stack on my E-Classic. I was getting quite a bit of creosote build up on the upper end near the top and a little more smoke than I would like and should be expected with this model. So I took off all but the bottom 4 foot section. What a difference! I am burning cleaner and the creosote in the stack is no longer an issue. I think what it comes down to is that unlike a traditional CB which is a natural draft whereas the E-Classic is a forced draft. Apparently, according to some, forced draft units do better with little to no chimney and in fact a chimney can be a liability on a forced draft unit due to the very creosote issue I was experiencing. If anyone else experiments with the short stack - let me know. It seems counter intuitive, but it is working.

Pete

I Have been running my new e classic for a week with an 8' stack split seasoned oak and the creosote build up is nuts. it is 20 degrees and still builds up. I hope we are not guinea pigs for these new units..........My by pass is very hard to open!

i have the eclassic setup with 3 sections or 12 ft.

creosote cleans up on the really cold days. Its the 55 degree days that allow it to really build.

i keep a broomstick handy to pop the bypass door so that I don't break anything by forcing the handle.

I wish CB would address this issue with the bypass sticking.

There's a good article on stacks and creosote and the fallacy of that line of thinking over at Garn.com .

The Garn article I read basically agrees that too-long stacks are bad...but they are talking LONG lengths... I do agree, though, that another 4ft of stack does little to dispurse the smoke. I was thinking of reducing my eClassic 8ft to 4ft simply because it would be better cosmetically and I have no neighbors - and the smoke is limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.