Early Buy Prices vs. Current Prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

defield

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
South Central Maine
I did not wish to again get entangled in the pellet shortage of 2008, so went with the pelletsales "Early Buy" in February of 2009 for an April delivery.

I notice that the pelletsales "Special Pricing" now in effect for my zip code is almost identical to what I paid ( contrary to many price predictions . . . ie:"Lowest price of the season". etc.).

Not complaining at all, because the pellets, the service, and the price were good ( Just wish that Okanagans had been an option.) and the pellets are all snugly stashed in the basement. I just like to get things done . . . . . .

Just wondering what others have experienced with late winter to early spring "Early Buy" prices vs. today's prices.

Ranger

There definitely is no shortage out there this year. The so called lack of fiber all the guru's were talking about some how disappeared. Magically we have a large supply to choose from and many options. Seems like everyone from the bigbox store to the grocery stores have them. Heck mom and pops mini stores have them too! Or maybe the pellet heads are just burning oil instead of pellets which is more pellets for us!

Better for the buyer, Not so good for the seller. They are competing for the business, Which is also good for the buyer.

Still glad I have my Multifuel stove. If there ever is a shortage? I find something to burn.

One good thing is the price you paid for them this spring is not higher than the current price. That would be bad! I still think as we get into winter and the supply dwindles. We might see a small increase in price! But I hope not.

I want to see them below $200 a ton. But that might be asking a tad to much.

jay

jtakeman said:
......I want to see them below $200 a ton. But that might be asking a tad to much.

Even though I'm not in the market for any pellet at the moment, I agree with Jay....I too would LOVE to see the price below $200/ton for all my pellet head friends still looking to buy, but I think those days are long gone, at least in the NE. The only place that seems to have a chance of those prices happening is the midwest/upper midwest.

But, hey, we can still hope......

It definitely looks like there are plenty of pellets still available. Several places around here (CT) are running sales, or have lowered their prices from a month or 2 ago. Just saw this one today.
Eastern CT Pellet Sales http://www.pelletsdelivered.com/home
I'm hoping the apparent decline in the purchase of pellets doesn't put some of these good guys out of business. I would hate to depend on the box stores to get my pellets.

newf lover said:
It definitely looks like there are plenty of pellets still available. Several places around here (CT) are running sales, or have lowered their prices from a month or 2 ago. Just saw this one today.
I'm hoping the apparent decline in the purchase of pellets doesn't put some of these good guys out of business. I would hate to depend on the box stores to get my pellets.

The ones that compete will servive. If they stand there ground on prices and don't adjust to the market? Who knows. But most seem to be adjusting just to compete. Good for us so we better take advantage while we can. I paid the $240 for the O malleys in the spring. So I am still good.

newf lover said:

Agree, there does seem to be plenty around and for the 1st time in a couple of years I am seeing sales signs posted in my area, North of Boston, in Essex County. On Route 1, Northeast Nursery in Peabody is advertising and a co-op across from the Topsfield Fairgrounds. Prices are $279 and $250 ton and the pellets they are advertising don't excite me. Also a big billboard on Rte.95 from woodpellets.com

macman said:
jtakeman said:
......I want to see them below $200 a ton. But that might be asking a tad to much.

Even though I'm not in the market for any pellet at the moment, I agree with Jay....I too would LOVE to see the price below $200/ton for all my pellet head friends still looking to buy, but I think those days are long gone, at least in the NE. The only place that seems to have a chance of those prices happening is the midwest/upper midwest.

But, hey, we can still hope......

While I would agree that most likely the $200/ton days are gone (bummer since I missed them for the most part) I also thought the days of gas at $1.75/gal was gone when we hit $4/gal. I'm just saying its possible, not likely.

I have noticed that in central VT prices seem to have come down a bit. Back in Feb and March when I started looking around for pellets for this season the best prices were in the $270-$300 range. I found a decent price on pellets and then a new pellet mill opened up about 12mi from my house. I think that may have had something to do with prices. TSC had pellets at $310/ton, I think that was their best price back in the late winter and early spring. I was in there the other day and they had them for $249.99/ ton.

I will say that it seems like everybody and their brother is selling pellets around here. We even have a Shaw's (supermarket) and Sunoco gas station that are selling pellets by the bag.

Bigjim13 said:
I will say that it seems like everybody and their brother is selling pellets around here. We even have a Shaw's (supermarket) and Sunoco gas station that are selling pellets by the bag.

Yep, I agree. The local priceChopper supermarket (still) has the horrible Infernos sitting outside, and the local farm market that told me in the spring that they had "no plans on selling wood pellets", now has Warm Front for sale ($6.99/bag :bug: ).

Up here, when I first bought my pellet stove, I was told about early buy prices and $25- $30 less per ton. After some looking around
I found Pro-Pellets for $189.50 a ton, but the TSC was 80 miles away. I then found a place 20 miles away that sold Wood Fibers, Inc.
pellets for $195 a ton, (2 or more tons), and with a $15 delivery charge total. Anyway, I paid $250 a ton for my first 2 tons, ( a good
pellet- Eco-Flame), + $50 delivery, + $30 tax... which came to $580 for the first 2 tons. My next 2 tons coming are the Wood Fibers, Inc.
pellets at a total of $430 and change, total with tax. ( from 41 Lumber, a multiple store business in the U.P.) I couldn't believe the $150
savings for a 2+ months supply, along with the better quality flame at lower settings on my stove. I'm sold on the hardwood, the Wood Fibers,
Inc. pellet, on price and burning quality. Look around, there might be some decent prices, less than $200 per ton, from places that aren't
pricing their's to the area norm. ( The norm here is around $250 a ton.) Heck, the places will sell the product if it's a decent price, just don't
gouge the consumer. They will look elsewhere. I did. Competition is good.
As far as big box stores go, I last saw at Wal-Mart, Penningtons for $6.50 a bag and at Menard's, Marth for $4.78 a bag. I haven't tried them
and probably never will at those prices. ( Maybe at $2.50 a bag, but not any more than that.)
Hopefully a pellet price war is coming and the consumer will win... I'd like to only pay for a winter's heat with what I save in a month compared
to electric heating.
Getting back to the early buy prices, it seems that current prices will come down, if consumers stay away from the gougers. It looks like the
area chain stores get better wholesale prices at the current time, with a quicker supply turnaround. With an in and out supply a store can charge
less as the storage time is decreased. A consumer smart store would notice, a consumer stupid store would see inventory not moving. Hell with
early buy, I'm looking for competition pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.