Early snow and power outage .....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawneyboy

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2010
NE PA
So here is the most up to date power outage threat assesment.. If you are not ready, you may want to do so...

Attachments

• power outage threat.jpg
    power outage threat.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 276
THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING !!!!!!!!!!! - Chicken Little 1782

hossthehermit said:

Heavy wet snow + trees still full of leaves + 35 MPH sustained winds = massive power outages. Many folks here were out for a week or more after Irene and just had their power restored at the beginning of September. Here we go again... The reason we were out for so long last time is the utilities said "Eh...Hurricanes never cause that much damage in the Northeast..." The next few days they were scrambling to get more and more manpower out to deal with the downed trees and wires. Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.

Our septic is not hooked up to generator power....that has to be tended to.... >:-(
We have a small generator that we hook up for just the other necessities...
I want the whole house hooked up so when the power goes out, I can feel like that guy on the commercial that "scoffs" at the power outtage... :)
I know, I know, I am too demanding dammit...

Gamma can we keep it pg13? :lol:

All you need is a couple of pails of H2O

Badfish740 said:
hossthehermit said:

Heavy wet snow + trees still full of leaves + 35 MPH sustained winds = massive power outages. Many folks here were out for a week or more after Irene and just had their power restored at the beginning of September. Here we go again... The reason we were out for so long last time is the utilities said "Eh...Hurricanes never cause that much damage in the Northeast..." The next few days they were scrambling to get more and more manpower out to deal with the downed trees and wires. Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.

Not trying to minimize the effect this may have on the people that it MAY affect, in the areas that MAY be affected. My point is simply that, as you say, "Hope for the best. Plan for the worst", should not start the day before one of these storms. Yeah, I've always got "something" that isn't done, but whether it's a hurricane, blizzard, ice storm, or nuclear device, I'm not going to be terribly surprised by it, I grew up without much, and I've still got most of it. The biggest part of being prepared is in your head.

Jack Straw said:

I made it more "aesthetically" pleasing..... :lol: JIC....those mods have their fingers on the "Button"....

Jack Straw said:

Not if they have a pump up drain field.

GAMMA RAY said:
Jack Straw said:

I made it more "aesthetically" pleasing..... :lol: JIC....those mods have their fingers on the "Button"....

Golly Gee, Gamma, I thought YOU were the mod in here...............

hossthehermit said:

I am Hoss...dammit....they just did not tell me the correct buttons to press yet....waiting for my pm...any minute now.. :roll:

You sounded like Eddy in Chrsistmas Vacation

Merry Christmas. Shitter was full.

hossthehermit said:
The biggest part of being prepared is in your head.

Funny place to store bread and toilet paper. :lol:

hossthehermit said:
Not trying to minimize the effect this may have on the people that it MAY affect, in the areas that MAY be affected. My point is simply that, as you say, "Hope for the best. Plan for the worst", should not start the day before one of these storms. Yeah, I've always got "something" that isn't done, but whether it's a hurricane, blizzard, ice storm, or nuclear device, I'm not going to be terribly surprised by it, I grew up without much, and I've still got most of it. The biggest part of being prepared is in your head.

I hear ya. I like being prepared-all I need to do is stop for more beer on the way home and I'm ready ;) The rest is all done-luckily we got through Irene with some downed tree branches and not much else. That gave me a chance to take stock of water, food, flashlights batteries, etc...

BrotherBart said:
Jack Straw said:

In that case all you need are a couple of empty pails :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
hossthehermit said:

I am Hoss...dammit....they just did not tell me the correct buttons to press yet....waiting for my PMS...any minute now.. :roll:

Fixed that for ya, Gamma

Jack Straw said:
BrotherBart said:
Jack Straw said:

In that case all you need are a couple of empty pails :lol:

After they use the H2O, they'll have 'em.

Jack Straw said:
You sounded like Eddy in Chrsistmas Vacation

Merry Christmas. Shitter was full.

I love that guy...I actually have a patient that could be Eddy's double.....he is funny as chit...I love when he comes in...
except he is missin a front tooth.... :smirk:

hossthehermit said:
GAMMA RAY said:
hossthehermit said:

I am Hoss...dammit....they just did not tell me the correct buttons to press yet....waiting for my PMS...any minute now.. :roll:

Fixed that for ya, Gamma

That is not something we kid about in this household...Hoss.... :shut:

GAMMA RAY said:
hossthehermit said:
GAMMA RAY said:
hossthehermit said:

Fixed that for ya, Gamma

That is not something we kid about in this household...Hoss.... :shut:

Button, button, who's got the button???? Ever play that when you were a kid????????

Bought a 7kw generator for Irene . . . Bring it on, if it must be brought on.

Gotta side with Hoss here . . . yeah, there could be power outages . . . but then again there could also be power outages from a bad storm in middle of January when the temps are truly going to be cold . . . for an extended amount of time. I suspect most folks will do OK . . . especially those of us here.

Gamma we have the same issue with a pumped septic. I just put in a Reliance Controls transfer switch. You can hardwire it into 6-10 circuits (depending on model), no extension cords or open windows. Just plug in one cord outside, flip a couple switches and you are in business.

Now we can also run the HWH, etc.

$300-$400 and a few hours of your time (or electricain). Hirghly reccomended.

jharkin said:
Gamma we have the same issue with a pumped septic. I just put in a Reliance Controls transfer switch. You can hardwire it into 6-10 circuits (depending on model), no extension cords or open windows. Just plug in one cord outside, flip a couple switches and you are in business.

Now we can also run the HWH, etc.

$300-$400 and a few hours of your time (or electricain). Hirghly reccomended.

It is on the list Jeremy....the looongg list of to do things for Mr Gamma... :red:
He is a contractor and can do it no problem...but...
after the Woodstock open house and talking to some of the guys, he has the disease now....scrouging wood for next year and the year after, and the year after, you get my drift... :ahhh: Addiction... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.