Earth Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy whose father was a distributor in Indiana for Earth Stove in the 80's always sings their praises. To hear him talk of the thing, it would heat 3,000 square feet, had extremely long burn times, and was basically a perfect stove. Perhaps nostalgia is clouding his vision. Now, to heat a garage or shed with one would be great.

My sis-in-law has one, but it's in pretty rough shape and no control. If I could find a manual for the thing, I might consider cleaning and fixing.
It has the cool medallion on the door.

I have one that is now sitting outside as a box burner. They were not any different than any other of the old smoke dragons. A papa bear was bigger and badder. But yes, they were a solid old tank that would incinerate darn near anything and hold about 60+ pounds of fuel, so they better burn for awhile. They were good old school, but old school none the less.

Reactions: firecracker_77
Remember as a kid, a friend of mine had one in the 80's - thing was cavernous! They would load it up with what seemed like 1/4 cord of wet wood...cut just a month or so before. Smoulder it down and heat the house for a couple days...thought it was great! Flue pipe cap was always dripping with creosote and every once in a while you'd hear a 'crackle' going up the pipe.

Some of the last Earth Stoves did have secondary burn tubes and a firebrick baffle. Spent an afternoon a few years back cutting new baffle bricks for one that a buddy acquired.

pen

I looked them up on Craigslist. Can be had for $200 - $450 around the country. For just a little more, you can get a newer EPA stove used. I want less smoke as I don't want to annoy the surrounding community. If I was out in the country, I couldn't care less about smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.