ebay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iwanceri

Dec 24, 2010
uk
hi anyone bought a stove off ebay and any reccomendations looking at a multifuel stove around 6.5kw,ta

Never bought a stove off ebay but the usual ebay warnings apply. On a used item you could get a good deal or it could go bad. And you'll pay shipping (maybe). I would buy local where I can see it and be sure what I'm buying. My strategy is ebay is good for cheap stuff I can afford to take a loss on just in case.

I wouldn't buy a wood or multi-fuel stove off ebay. Too likely the seller has something to hide. Use SearchTempest to search multiple craigslist cities as far as you're willing to drive. Then you can look at it and bargain with cash in your hand. But educate yourself on the strengths and weaknesses of the stove model before going.

There is NO way I would buy a stove I intended to use, sight unseen. Even brand new. I use eBay, and have no problem with it. You can find anything there. But somethings, and in my opinion, stoves fit this catagory, should not be bought there.

It's preferable to get a stove that you can look at, especially if it's used, but there are values to be had if you are careful and know what you want. Whether it's a good deal would depend on the stove, price, and seller. Sometimes some good clearance deals or unusual stove bargains can be found. If this is a stove you can inspect or that you find the seller does an excellent job of communication, then it could work out ok. Just be wary of someone trying to dump a lemon. All the normal eBay warnings still apply. And don't forget the shipping charges. They might be more than the cost of the stove.

thanks for the answers to all who replied i am looking to buy a new stove off ebay from stove dealers not a second hand one these are stove companies not individuals i just wondered if any one could reccomend one stove/dealer,ta.

Just be sure you know what you are buying. There are some stoves that aren't worth a bean for heating, that may sound ok on paper. Is there a particular make/model you are interested in?

Do a lot of research before you buy anywhere. Ask questions here. Narrow down to just a few models. Check your local dealers first then compare prices on eBay. Be sure to consider the cost of shipping all that weight. I would gladly pay at least a small premium to buy locally from a dealer who has my back if things go wrong.

Also should add to really know your prices well. You can often pay as much for an item on eBay as you would shopping locally or at an online retailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.