eclipse manual wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpeeperz

Nov 10, 2012
i have an old eclipse insert and am looking for a manual, service or operations. not having much in the way of issues but would like to know how the damper is supposed to work in this thing, and then tweak it to make it actually work.

thanks

any suggestions on how to get a model number off of the rig?

I posted a link to download the manual in a different post. Its more of an operation manual as opposed to a service manual. I never got a service manual when i bought my stove, but I got it in 2005 and the stove was a teenager at that point.

I do remember that the damper/draft control is controlled by a cable that runs from the top of the control board just under the lid. You turn it clockwise to increase the draft and counterclockwise to decrease it. If your stove is like mine, the cable rusted up over the years making that adjustment knob useless. However, you can adjust the draft by popping off the left side panel and manually moving the draft control. It's a half circle shaped thing if I remember correctly and is halfway down the air intake tube where you could hook an OAK if you wanted. Once you get it where you want it, you're good to go.

The model number on mine was on a sticker that had all but disintegrated. I honestly wouldn't have known what the stove was had the original owner not given me the manual. I think it says "Eclipse" on the control board, but that is the only thing that shows an actual name anymore. Mine got demoted to workshop use and gets fired up maybe once or twice a year now, if that.

thanks. mine seems like it might even be older than the one you have. there is no cable down to the damper control. it just has that half moon thing, but i find it doesnt actually seem to do very much when i adjust it.

much apreciated on the manual though

While I don't have that model, I've had similar results with the damper basically producing 1 of 4 things.

While it slides 4 inches, I get basically the exact same burn and flame tightness on 0-40% closed but it doesn't get very hot and uses too much fuel,50-70 is ideal burn wit ha nice tight flame and good trade off of fuel burn vs heat output, 70-90 goes to a weak flame and then closed causes clinkers and overflowing burn pots. Fine tuning is pretty limited IMO.
But i'm not expert.... so it's posisble i'm doing it wrong too.

yah i pretty much have 'er wide open it is burning clean and hot. not sure if theres any disadvanges to this other than high fuel use.

Status
Not open for further replies.