EcoFan Owners....does yours have a hum when its whirring at high speed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got one for Christmas and it is working great, other than a whir like buzz when it is going at high speed (not loud but we can notice it in a quiet room). I don't think its the air making the noise but rather the fan itself where it connects to its "base". Just wondering if this is normal or if it should be exchanged...maybe my ears are just too sensitive!

Other than the noise we're enjoying its benefits. We were not interested in the noise of a blower but we did want a method to assist the convection up the basement stairs. It seems to be working as upstairs is a few degrees warmer than before the EcoFan.

The weather has been hovering around freezing since Christmas so we have not used it in colder weather. It is supposed to get cold tonight (-16 C (3 F) with a wind chill of -29 C (-20 F) so that will put it to the test!

The first one I bought developed a hum and then quit. I returned it and got a new one. I now have 2, 1 at home and 1 at the cabin and have had no trouble with these. I don't think they should be run extremely hot though.

Bought one several years ago, has been totally silent at all speeds since new.

Status
Not open for further replies.