Econo weatherproof stove inside information?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrCRXHF

Burning Hunk
Apr 28, 2008
Mid, Michigan
Has anyone heard anything about this new system?

Weatherproof enclosure for Econoburn™ models coming soon! The Econoburn™ weatherproof enclosure is presently under development. This enclosure will allow you the flexibility to install your Econoburn™ wood boiler outside, closer to your fuel source. As well this will facilitate a direct, seamless replacement of your existing inefficient outdoor boiler.

This would work out well for me but i would like to know if anyone has heard anything. I have put in my information on the contact page but sometimes a few people around here have a little inside information.

My guess is that they would be something like this http://www.gototalenergy.com/hot_water_boilers.htm that this company seems to have created for the eko. It is an intersting idea that would solve the problem of people with little basement access or room. I wonder how they allow access for the cleaning of the gasification chambers. I know on my tarm I have to access them from the top. How do you clean these on the eko or econoburn? Maybe that wouldn't be an issue on these makes.

The EKO and Econoburn both have self-cleaning turbulators in the hx tubes, so routine cleaning isn't really an issue. Presumably, both outdoor system have a way to access the boilers for maintenance.

Econoburn has had that basic design around for awhile, but it's been delayed a couple of times because (I think) of low demand. That will no doubt change in the coming year as the new OWB regulations go into effect in states like NY, VT and ME. Other states are considering their own restrictions.

There's nothing about an indoor gasifier that would make it difficult to adapt to outdoor use, other than a good enclosure design. I think that's pretty much a given with Econoburn. The EKO outdoor unit is a dealer retrofit, which looks good to me as well. BioMax, which is similar to the EKO, also has (or had) an outdoor version, complete with on-board hot water storage.

For what it's worth, the Econoburn owners manual does say that one should open it up, pull the turbulators, and brush out the fire tubes at least once a year.

I have limited vertical clearance in my cellar, and as a special item, Econoburn is building mine with what they call "swing turbulators"- which I gather have a hinge at some point or something so that they don't require as much vertical clearance to remove.

Trevor

Status
Not open for further replies.