Econoburn 100 chimney size...website says I can use 6"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4hiswork

Apr 4, 2010
Western Kentucky
I have an econoburn 100 which I am very close to getting finished. My wife calls it my money pit, but I am having fun doing all the work myself, I did try to hire someone, but he kept putting me off, then backed out! So according to Econoburns website I can use 6" chimney on the 100 and not the more expensive 8" My unit is in a 24x30 detached garage and the chimney will go straight up. My thoughts on this is to go to a 8" T and for cleanout and then put another 8" T on top of that for my Barometric damper, all of this single wall..reducing just above the last T down to 6" for about 4' then convert to Duravent SS through the roof. Would love to hear if anyone out there has the Econoburn 100 and if they tried this??

keep in mind that an 8" clay liner only had about a 6 1/2" inside diameter.

I used a single wall reducer right off the exhaust outlet on the back of the Eco-----8" to 6"-----this transitions to a double wall black pipe tee-----below this tee is another tee which sits my barometric damper. The double wall goes to the ceiling where it then transitions to Simpson triple wall pipe through attic,roof,and outdoors.(Personally,after the fact,after installation I am not impressed with the Simpson pipe and the way it locks or rather it does not lock positively together) I see an issue with the transition on the vertical run when cleaning ----you'll have to buy two brushes to fit each pipe. Good luck with the install!!

Thanks for the replys.. you both have given me the courage to go with the six...wonder who makes the SS pipe for Lowes?? It is a little cheaper than the Duravent, and should I go to double wall black and then the SS. So many options...not enough time! Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.