econoburn install ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksnort

Oct 10, 2010
northcentral WI
HI, starting to install a new econoburn 150 this weekend and I am looking for all the info I can get! This will be a stand alone system with 1000 gal.pressurized storage. A friend in the heating and cooling biz will be assisting but looking for all the ideas I can find.Particularly with piping layouts and pump placement. Heres what I have for a plan so far. Boiler and water storage tank will be in a basement garage next to each other, about three feet apart,DHW coil in the storage tank, 1 1/4" copper lines to top of tank from boiler and return lines from bottom of one end to boiler. Planning on 2 T's in line from boiler to tank, one to heat house and one to heat boiler room. House lines to be 1" and boiler room line to be 3/4". Three pumps will be used, 2 grundfos ups15-58fc, 1 taco 007 for boiler room circuit, 1 grundfos will be from boiler to tank the other will be for the house circuit. Return line from house will go into oposite end of tank from cold water to boiler.Expansion tank,pressure reducing valve with backflow preventer,air eliminator,pressure relief valves have been purchased.Basically when boiler is operating heat will go to house first if it is calling for it with excess going to tank, all heat goes to tank when house is satisfied. If boiler is not running heat will be drawn from top of storage tank. Does this sound realistic? I am sure that we are missing a lot of other items as the whole project is very overwhelming! Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the boiler room - I think you've come to the right place. Have you read the stickies at the top of this forum? Some of them address some of your questions.

If there's a way you can post a plumbing schematic, it's a lot easier for folks to visualize what you're planning. A cell phone picture of a sketch on a dinner napkin is better than nothing....

Sounds like my system. I didnt do the coil in the tank because if for some reason you dont want to use the tank (bypass) then you dont have hot water. I put a plate heat exchanger pumping into my existing electric hot water 50gal tank with an aquastat set at 120 on the output. It work great. Make sure you read the econoburn manual before your install. I didnt and wished i did because the boiler has alot of internal programming to run the external circs.

Status
Not open for further replies.