Econoburner Vs Empyre Boilers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redislespud

Nov 18, 2012
Hi all,

I am trying to decide on the boiler I want. I have looked at the Econoburner and was very impressed. The down side of this i the dealer is a 6 hr drive from me and i would need to have someone locally do the install. I have since found that a local dealer that sells Empyre Boilers and he could also do the install. The Empyre boilers do not apear to be as well built as the Econoburner units but the price tag is not as steep either.

I know nothing about the Empyre boilers so can anyone offer advice or personal experience? Pro's and cons for both units would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your advice or comments.

RIS

What are you basing the not as well built opinion on? I thought from readings here they were considered pretty good.

Basic difference between them is the Empyre is open, so would therefore typically need a heat exchanger that the Econoburn wouldn't. Also, if dealer location & service is an important consideration, you will be narrowing your possibilities greatly (likely to these two) as there just aren't very many in this part of the country. Have you searched this site? There is an Empyre owner in PEI on here that has written quite a bit about his not that long ago. I have no direct experience with either.

Come up and see mine running if you want.
You can't be that far away.
Paradise Island is only so big.;)

John I would love to come see your boiler. I am in Morell every day so your not all that far from me. I had a chat the other day with the boys from Watertight and they said they installed a boiler up your way. I assume that is yours they are talking about? Let me know when would be convienent for you and il take a run up. My work # is 902-961-3330.

Come up and see mine running if you want.
You can't be that far away.
Paradise Island is only so big.;)

Own an econoburn 150. Very happy with it.

Pros: all off the shelf parts. Nothing I've seen that can't be replaced easily if and when needed. 3 years so far and no need for any parts. Easy install with basic plumbing skills. Pressurized system so knowledge of pressurized system must be solicited and used. Good customer support. They WANT you to call them with any issues.

Cons: Lots of smoke out loading door when refilling unless burned to next to nothing before filling(mine in outside shed. Ceiling is insulated so fills with smoke quick. Will be removing ceiling insulation and insulating rafters instead and then installing a fan I can turn on to move smoke outside away from loader.
Yearly cleaning of turbs is more intensive than most from what I've experienced and read? 3-4 hours labor and tight spaces. In my mind small price to pay for savings it provides.
Lots of ash removal if wood isn't dry enough(every 3 days as opposed to once a week if dry) but I'm sure that's true of any wood boiler.

Are you considering water storage? This is something else to consider as well. I would highly recommend having storage and I thinkg most would. But you can always add it in later and just plan for it in your new installation. Keep in mind you will have monitoring and testing of water conditions with an open system for corrosion prevention. In a properly installed and air purged closed system, after it is filled and up and running, there is no air infiltration.

You certainly want to look seriously at adding storage.

There is a reason that the Effecta and Froling lambda boilers MUST be used with storage.

Most everyone in Europe operates their gasifiers with storage and they have been doing so for many, many years!

Status
Not open for further replies.