Efel Kamina ?s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I had the Amish build us a 12' x 16' one-room cabin to put by our pond. No electricity or indoor plumbing. We want to heat it with a woodstove and picked up the most amazing red Efel Kamina today. It appears to have issues and we don't know enough about the stove to know where to begin. The glass is out of the front and has been replace with a steel panel. The back cast iron grate and bottom grate are both cracked. Otherwise, cosmetically, the stove is in good shape. Is it worth finding parts for and fixing up? Will it require fire brick? Does anyone know a source for parts or where to pick up another stove to use for parts?

The stove sounds pretty beat. Hope the price was right? They were good stoves in their day, and were made in Belgium. I'm not sure how commonly you will find one, or the parts! My family had one in the mid 70's, the front glass is actually supposed to be little panels of glass 2 or 3 inches wide that I guess allows for a little expansion/contraction. You may be able to get specs for replacement glass unless you just want to use it with the metal. Our glass was always black from creosote anyway and the fire didn't get hot enough or wood was not dry enough to burn it off. There's a white efel Kamina in the hearth.com galleries if you page through those.
If the grates are cracked better make sure the firebox is intact. They were workhorses but ours got overfired once or twice and the door warped. That will be a serious heater in a small cabin, maybe too much! I think you can fold the top back and cook on the top, which would be cool for a cabin.

I'm not sure but I think the stove has an 8" flu outlet. I hope you can install with a liner, and if you can't I wouldn't even try with that stove! We ended up giving ours to someone with the same stove, for parts.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/ind...8&tbnw=131&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Not sure what a good price is for a stove like this. I think we did okay, but looking at Woodman's it might be an expensive project. Hope to find a used stove somewhere for parts, but not sure how common they are here in the Midwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.