EKO 25 Boiler - Can I burn other froms of fuel in this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDabate

Sep 14, 2008
Ellington, CT
Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible and even efficient to burn items like pellets or bio bricks in the EKO 25 gasification boiler?

Biobricks will work but burn hot and fast. The idea with the gasser is to get a coal bed formed on top of the nozzle that causes secondary combustion in the lower chamber. I have often thought that one of those pellet feeding burners could be adapted to the bottom chamber door, though. I would like to try something like this as a backup heat source, but it would have to be able to be left in place while burning wood, then come on as the wood fire in the upper chamber goes out.
The best thing is chunk wood, dried to less than 20% moisture content. There are other boilers designed to work with other biomass sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.