EKO 40 - 80' from house - should I use PEX or 1 1/4" iron or something else? looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markpee

Aug 12, 2008
Huson Valley New York
First post here, though I've been reading for a long time - I love all of the info here.
I have ordered an EKO 40, and am placing it in a custom shed that will have the piping come through a concrete floor. I know a lot of people use (or am at least assuming) 1"ID PEX. Is this really ideal though? I priced black iron pipe, and it is relatively similar in price, and would probably provide better flow. Anyone have any ideas? Not sure how I would insulate/protect from moisture, or if I have to, but would welcome any advice from the experts.

Mark

I was going to post a similar question but thought I would hitch a ride here and maybe help us both out.
I'm thinking of installing a EKO 60 and running insulated pipe 90' underground to mey shop to a 500 gal. propane tank
for storage. What determines the size of pipe that I bury? My plumber says 1" should be enough but I know
they make 1.25". My 4'-5' ditch is dug and I'm planning to run thermopex through a 6" pipe. This will also allow
me to add an extra water line to supply potable water to the building.

Taxidermist - how deep is your pex, and what kind of pex did you use, if you remember. Is the stuff on eBay acceptable or not?

Mine is 42" deep ran 140 ft from barn to house. I figured I am spending alot of money to save money in the long run so I did not go cheep on my under ground. I used dual 1" logstor insulated pex at about $ 12.78 per foot. Also for Waterflea they do make insulated underground with 3 one inch pex lines in a insulated pipe. I was told that thermopex is not a true 1" inside diam. it is more like 78.

Rob

Taxidermist, where or who were you able to get the logstor from? Not much online that I could find.

I got mine at www.cozyheat.com but shipping would kill you as I was able to pick it up. You could find thermopex which I find is really close but only 7/8 id wich I think would be fine. Most central boiler dealers handle thermopex. Mine is called Logstore dual pex-flex, I was reading the directions and they say to bury 20 to 24" unles under high traffic area then they say to install it 20" deeper than the deepest part of the road bed then cushion it with sand. I went 42" because I have to come up thru the floor in my barn and you need 42 to 48 inches to make the bend.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.