Eko 40 Cleaning Tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I have an Eko 40 with the cleaning handle attached to the turbulators. I move the handle every time I reload the furnace. The furnace does idle a lot. I have recently noticed that it is taking a much longer time for the temperature to rise, even a few degrees. I am wondering if the heat exchange tubes may need cleaned, causing a loss of effeciency. My question is this: has anyone else cleaned the tubes by hand even though there is the "cleaning arm" attached to the side? I would assume that you would have to remove the turbulators somehow before you would be able to get a cleaning tool down there.

I have the cleaning handle also but I still take the turbs out and do a good cleaning monthly.
I use a cup shaped wire wheel fastened to a steel rod and chucked in a drill.
It does make a difference,the cleaning handle attached to the turbs only does a marginal job IMO but the wire brush cleans them nice.
I always see a drop in flue temps afterwards.
It is a pain getting the handle shaft out the first time but once you figure out how it all comes apart its not to bad.
I did modify the outer sheetmetal skin on my boiler to allow access to the bolts that hold the turbulator shaft in.That helped alot.
Look down in the HX tubes from the top access panel with a flashlight and you can see the little bit the turbs actually hit(clean) the HX tubes.

Attachments

• P1050803.jpg
    P1050803.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 295
  • P1050801.jpg
    P1050801.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 289
  • P1050800.jpg
    P1050800.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 303
Status
Not open for further replies.