EKO 40 "FLushing during idle" settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markpee

Aug 12, 2008
Huson Valley New York
Does anyone know if the EKO 40 comes with the flushing settings turned on? I can't seem to find how to check the controler or how to set it up. Im sure someone knows. I've checked both the 40 manual and the controler manual.

Mine did. I think you can adjust the duration with a dial on the back of the (old) controller. Not sure about the new one. It may be electronic. The manual is pretty worthless. If you want to check to see if it's set up, get your boiler into idle mode and listen. The fan should go on briefly every 9 minutes or so.

Like Eric said it's a dial on the back and when you turn it it will display the setting. On the new controller ( download Manual at cozyheat) you set using the program buttons on the front of the controller On the old controller the setting were on from the factory.

Yeah - I have the new controller. I have the manual, but am not sure which setting it is. Please help.

Look on page 5 of the controller manual, it will guide you through the settings...the "fan work time" is the length of time the fan actually runs during the idling cycle and the "fan pause time" setting is the time between the cycles. The fan work time default setting is 5 seconds and the fan pause time default setting is 6 minutes.

Rich

Rich R. said:
Look on page 5 of the controller manual, it will guide you through the settings...the "fan work time" is the length of time the fan actually runs during the idling cycle and the "fan pause time" setting is the time between the cycles. The fan work time default setting is 5 seconds and the fan pause time default setting is 6 minutes.

Rich

Thanks Rich - that's what I'm looking for. The manual is as clear as mud. Did you (or anyone else here) keep that setting, or is it recommended to change it? I'm probably more concerned that it is set right in the Summer, as I have no storage.

I also do not have storage with my EKO 40. I adjusted the time on to 8 seconds and the fan pause time to 4 minutes. These setting may change, I just fired up my boiler for the first time last week. I am sure that there will be more tinkering ahead.

markpee said:
Rich R. said:

Rich

Thanks Rich - that's what I'm looking for. The manual is as clear as mud. Did you (or anyone else here) keep that setting, or is it recommended to change it? I'm probably more concerned that it is set right in the Summer, as I have no storage.

Hi Mark,
My unit is just as it was shipped from the factory as far as settings go. I run all summer long with no storage either (storage is planned) and the unit seems to work alright though I have thought of tinkering with it just to conserve wood. Going on third season with it...Cave2k

Cave2k said:
markpee said:
Rich R. said:

Rich

Hi Mark,
My unit is just as it was shipped from the factory as far as settings go. I run all summer long with no storage either (storage is planned) and the unit seems to work alright though I have thought of tinkering with it just to conserve wood. Going on third season with it...Cave2k

Speaking of conserving wood - I cant get more than 7 hours or so out of the boiler. I tried wet and dry wood (wet from the rain) - I have gasification, but still. It got cold here today too, 36 now. I had the fan speed at 60% when it was warm, but put it to 100% when it got cold - this way I think the boiler will get to temp quicker, and burn less, right? I also have the fan things open all the way. What do you think?

I think open all the way with the fan baffles is way too far. Try an inch. It's hard to assess your wood usage without knowing your heat load. They do burn considerably more without storage, at least according to the guy who imports them. He says up to 40% more. Hard to believe, but it could be. As to 7 hours, that's not bad, I don't think, although 36 isn't exactly cold, either. Seven or 8 hours in the dead of winter is pretty respectable, IMO.

Is the fan speed setting something you do on the controller? I have the old one and I can't change the fan speed. But my new controller should be here any day, and I'm looking forward to fooling around with it learning how it works. Setting the fan speed sounds like a pretty cool feature.

I load my 40 at 11:00 at night at about 75% full and still have a small fire going at 6:30 am. I have adjusted my air shutter on the fan to about 3/4" opening. My wood moisture content is 14-15%. I am going to start mixing in some wood with a higher moisture content. This week-end I plan on looking at all the air adjustments, I still haven't taken off the cover behind the fans to get to the secondary opening.

I think when I start my addition on my house next spring, I am planning on adding 500 gallons of storage in the new basement. It's kind of a pain to keep the house at an even temperature when the outside temps are in the 40's and 50's.

Eric Johnson said:
I think open all the way with the fan baffles is way too far. Try an inch. It's hard to assess your wood usage without knowing your heat load. They do burn considerably more without storage, at least according to the guy who imports them. He says up to 40% more. Hard to believe, but it could be. As to 7 hours, that's not bad, I don't think, although 36 isn't exactly cold, either. Seven or 8 hours in the dead of winter is pretty respectable, IMO.

Is the fan speed setting something you do on the controller? I have the old one and I can't change the fan speed. But my new controller should be here any day, and I'm looking forward to fooling around with it learning how it works. Setting the fan speed sounds like a pretty cool feature.

How do I know my heat load? I have 12 zones in the house, basically one in each room. I've been playing with the thermostats all day and got my longest burn tonight - between 9-10 hours, although, I had almost no coals left and had to let the new load "burn in" before gasifying again. The fan speed is set on the controler, its real easy to do. You can go from 50% TO 100%.

I had to open back up my fan inlet opening to about 1-1/8". I was getting too much blue smoke when the fan was running. It's back to virtually no smoke again after the adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.