EKO-40 HEATS GOOD BUT STINKS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bliz

Dec 27, 2009
9 miles from Quebec
Hello All, I have a question I have been holding off asking for a couple weeks, but now need some help. I installed a new EKO-40 about 3 weeks ago and it constantly makes my house smell like smoke. I have burned wood for 25 years and have had another wood boiler which certainly smoked when you opened the door but it was never like this. I have gone to the point of leaving a cellar and first floor window partiallly open for ventilation but the smell is still there. Any help would be appreciated because if this continues next season it will be scrapped.

Bliz,

I have had an EKO40 system for 2 years and when originally installed had the same issues.

I was going to put a hood/fan/duct hose on it but after much experimenting have been using the boiler all this winter with no hood.

The KEY to operating these boilers is to not open up the primary (top door) in "MID BURN".

Doing so will cause the creosote smoke that is nice and hot in the top chmaber to roll out of the boiler.

I load it full of wood, close the door and never open it agian until the fire is out/burnt way down.

Hope this helps.

NWM

Do you have the orange upper door gasket or is it white (fiberglass)? If it's white, call New Horizon and order up the new gasket.

You'll also want to tighten up your door. Your EKO manual will have directions on how to turn the door hinges in. It's quite easy. What you're experiencing is quite common and easily remedied with the new gasket (if you don't already have the new one)...

Northwoodsman said:
Bliz,

I have had an EKO40 system for 2 years and when originally installed had the same issues.

I was going to put a hood/fan/duct hose on it but after much experimenting have been using the boiler all this winter with no hood.

The KEY to operating these boilers is to not open up the primary (top door) in "MID BURN".

Doing so will cause the creosote smoke that is nice and hot in the top chmaber to roll out of the boiler.

I load it full of wood, close the door and never open it agian until the fire is out/burnt way down.

Hope this helps.

NWM

I would echo the don't open mid burn... this tends to be part of the learning curve. Otherwise, you may have a draft problem. If you are really sensitive to the smokey smell, I would suggest putting in a draft inducer you can run while loading...

Also, when you open the loading door, don't yank it open quickly in one motion- you need to give the top firebox a chance to actually start its own new updraft into the chimney (which it totally lacks during gasification, and has little airflow to start once the blower is off as you prepare to open the door).. Undo the latch, and then open it just ever so slightly (less than 1/2 inch). Depending on your chimney, weather, where you are in the burn cycle, etc., you may get a small puff of smoke that'll reverse and then pull back into the door-- in which case, continue to open the door slowly, allowing the draft to build/ pull up the chimney as you open it gradually. If smoke keeps billowing out, then your fire stage or draft conditions indicate that it is best to wait until the load in the firebox has burned down further before re-loading.

as others have said do not opent he door too quickly or it will puff ya! I had the stink issue big time with my eko 2k the white gasket they shipped with is absolute crap and does not seal at all. call up NH and order the new orange gasket I did it and have never had to smell the odor since! GL

Try to find out where the smoke odor is coming from. I had smoke odor when I first started burning my EKO and found that it was coming from the joints in the single wall flue pipe. I sealed every joint with high temperature silicone and the smoke smell went away.

If I had mine installed in the house I would install a range hood or heavy duty bath / exaust fan to eliminate smoke when loading and if it leaks a little smoke around the door order one of the new gaskets, they seal much better than the original one.

Thanks for all the responses. I did just get a draft inducer yesterday to take care of the smoke when opening the door for loading, etc. However, I am quite sure my problem is largely door related. When the unit is running I could readily detect an acrid smell around the door. I have taken a close look at the door gasket and it appears where it makes the curve at two corners there is too much channel that the gasket does not fill. I am going to try the high temp silicon over the original gasket until I can get a new one and install it. I do have the white rope type gasket. Thanks again for all the tips and advice. FYI I can get up to a 14 hour burn with temps at 0*F at night and in the teens during the day. My house is 2 stories and 3000 square feet. Filling the stove about 3/4 full gives me a 10-12 hour burn, easily maintaining the house at 70*F+.

check the connection of the flue pipe to the stove. Mine has a small leak there. i'm not sure that connector is an exact US size, it may be a mm conversion and a bit smaller diameter that the pipe we use here.

hr

Bliz said:
Thanks for all the responses. I did just get a draft inducer yesterday to take care of the smoke when opening the door for loading, etc. However, I am quite sure my problem is largely door related. When the unit is running I could readily detect an acrid smell around the door. I have taken a close look at the door gasket and it appears where it makes the curve at two corners there is too much channel that the gasket does not fill. I am going to try the high temp silicon over the original gasket until I can get a new one and install it. I do have the white rope type gasket. Thanks again for all the tips and advice. FYI I can get up to a 14 hour burn with temps at 0*F at night and in the teens during the day. My house is 2 stories and 3000 square feet. Filling the stove about 3/4 full gives me a 10-12 hour burn, easily maintaining the house at 70*F+.

14 hour burn with an EKO? Hoolllyyy smokes. You must have a very, very small heat load. An EKO 40 at full load will not typically last longer than 3-4 hours running full out with a 100% full load of wood. You're EKO is doing more idling than running, my friend...

and if it is idling that much... that may be part of the smell you are getting. Also..will this new door gasket fit a Tarm Solo 40 ? Mine suck right now. Has Tarm switched over to this new gasket?

Bliz,

There can be other places that smoke is escaping. I found if I turned the lights off and looked closely at the Eko with a flashlight you will find if there are leaks.

Good luck

timberr said:
Bliz,

There can be other places that smoke is escaping. I found if I turned the lights off and looked closely at the Eko with a flashlight you will find if there are leaks.

Good luck

This is a good idea I used a drop light around the edge of the door to see the small amount of smoke that was not visible with the lights on. The new gasket took care of the small leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.