EKO 40 vs Econoburn 150

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppy

Mar 12, 2010
western NH
Hello everybody or anybody. First time posting here or anywhere. I been reading this forum all winter and have gained a lot of knowledge but still just enough to be dangerous. I doubled the size of my house (not finished or heated yet) from 1250sqft to 2500sqft and need to upgrade my heating system. Most of the house is radiant except 2 bedrooms are baseboard and 1/2 the basement has a small Modine. My plan is to install the gasifier in the basement and use my existing oil fired for backup and maybe domestic water in the summer.

I am finding similar prices for EKO and Econoburn (about $5,000). Any thoughts on which is better? Safety and functionality are my two main concerns. Efficiency is not a top priority but I don't want to babysit it either. Also, I'm pretty sure the Econoburn qualifies for the tax credit, not sure about about the EKO.

Can I use the same chimney as the oil fired? (both at the same time)

Any knowledgeable installers in the western NH / Eastern VT area?
I like my plumber but I 've read many times that wood boiler experience is unique

Any thoughts on storage would be appreciated, I think both these units would be sized pretty close to what I need so I may try to get by without storage.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you

I will start

You need storage
If you plumber has done solar systems he will have a start, both are essentially similar batch systems
All the Boilers I have seen need their own chimney
The EKO supplier will know about tax credits

I'll start second.

You do not need storage.

There are a lot of users of both boilers you mention here on this website. I personally vote for the EKO since that's what I have. My decision was based primarily on the availability at the time as well as the controls functionality. If you read the manuals for both you may see some differences.

99.99% of the time you cannot share flue's between solid fuel appliances.

As for storage, it is a convenience plain and simple. I have it, I couldn't burn wood consistently without it. But to say you "need" storage is misleading, especially for folks just getting into the game. There are a lot of threads discussing the pro's and cons. A quick search will help you tremendoulsy.

Both are excellent products and you would be pleased with either. Both qualify for the Tax Credit because they are above 75% efficiency. Storage not only adds convenience, but it also allows use in the shoulder and off season for DHW. Yes, you can run without it, but you will want to put some in eventually. The advantage of adding it from the start is that you can size the boiler bigger for more added convenience, but again this is not necessary.

Welcome!!

Thanks for the responses. These products seem to be good bang for the buck and I'm glad nobody told me that I was nuts.
I do like the idea of storage for summer, otherwise I suspect I will let the oil handle the summers.
Not excited about poking a chimney through two floors and a roof!! May try to put the oil on a power vent but it will have to under the porch or deck and that's probably less safe/legal than using one chimney.

Thanks again and any continuing advice always welcome

I ran my chimney out my basement wall and up the outside of my house to avoid the aforementioned "problems". Finish it off with a chase and it looks great....worth considering.

...regarding the tax credit. Yes, both will qualify on the efficiency rating but I believe the IRS says you will need the manufacturers "statement" on this if in the event you are audited? May want to be sure this is available to you.
I also thought about power venting my old oil boiler but I was very limited to where I could vent per code and those locations would have caused my siding to become stained over time.

5k for an Econoburn 150 is a better deal than a I could get be 2k. I don't know between the two but it seems like the 150 is on a super sale or something. I have an Eko 25 and like it.

Como said:
I will start

You need storage
If you plumber has done solar systems he will have a start, both are essentially similar batch systems
All the Boilers I have seen need their own chimney
The EKO supplier will know about tax credits
+1 on the storage, I don't think a gasser should be put in without it(exception,stainless Wood Gun). There is at least 1 of the Tarms(or possible Solo) & Atmos & others that state they must be run with storage. If you want the greatest convenience & most boiler life I would suggest a storage tank, Randy

I only speak to the EKO and BTW storage is nice but not required. I have run mine for three seasons without storage and it has worked quite well it ran from first of November until last week and was only shut down for a couple weeks when I was out of town. The chimney on outside with a chase works pretty nice or you could consider a outbuilding install , mine is in a shed 75' from the house. Keeps the mess outside and me from hauling wood to the basement. (I would have put it in the basement if I had a walkout basement)
If you provide the design any good plumber could install, better yet an HVAC boiler tech after all a wood , gas or oil boiler has pretty much the exact same plumbing.

Speaking from experience, I will say that the EconoBurn 150 is under rated if anything. It will consistently do at least 170,000 from what I have seen.

As to storage, lot's of people I know as well as customers of mine have started out using no storage. Almost invariably they have added storage after a winter or two. It greatly reduces the "user interface" time required to operate the unit.

It is a code violation to run solid fuel and gas or oil in the same chimney. Have I seen it done? Yes. Have I seen problems because of it? Yes. Have I seen people get away with it? Yes again. Would I do it in my own home? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.