EKO Controller repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom Man

Sep 6, 2008
Eastern Ontario
I have removed the controller because of two problems. The first is that the pump control circuit was no longer working. The second is that the controller would shut down occasionally with no logical explanation. At first I suspected the fuse but it looked OK. On replacing the old fuse the unit would work as expected for months on end, and then inexplicably stop again. I'd take out the fuse and put it back and it would work again.

I was doing a pre-season check, burning up some excess newspapers and it stopped again. With difficulty this time, (it did not pop-out) I removed the fuse and it seemed OK so I replaced it. This time it didn't start.

I took the box apart (with great trepidation). The controller label describes the Model as RK2081CA. (Note: both the 8 and the C are unclear so the Model number may not be correct.)

The on/off switch connects to a fuse holder and there is a rather solid wire on the side of the fuseholder not going anywhere. I suspect it should be soldered to the circuit board but I thought I better ask here before continuing my analysis/repair.

I cannot take it to the dealer here, as he sold it to me used with no warranty. He doesn't seem to know the gassers particularly well anyway. I've used it without issue now for 2 years.

I was thinking that I'd buy a soldering gun and fix the connection but I'd really like to replace the fuseholder. Where would I be able to find a fuseholder like this.

I am not familiar with the controller but if you have the ability to post a good photo of
the the fuse holder i am sure we could find a replacement for you.

Here is a picture of the fuseholder in the controller. The silver wire looks attached but it is not. I am just not 100 percent sure that it should be.

Attachments

• Fuse Holder.jpg
    Fuse Holder.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 248
ahh ok... I thought it may be a circuit board mounted fuse holder. That holder should be easy to find
a replacement to, the hole is about a 1/2 inch??? What amp fuse is in it. If it is just a couple amp fuse
I would replace the solid wire with a short piece of 16-18 gauge stranded wire so it has some flex to it.

It is not unusual for a solid connection like that to break free from a circuit board trace.
Radio shack would probably have that holder, if not there are many online suppliers that would.
If there is only 2 connections on that fuse-holder and the solid wire is broken free from the circuit
board that is no doubt the problem.

Kris

Yes it is a 2 Amp fuse. A flexible wire is a good suggestion. We no longer have Radio Shack but Tandy's Circuit City outlet might be able to recommend a replacement part.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.