EKO De-Stratifying Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twofer

Jun 4, 2008
SLP Michigan
On numerous occasions I've found that long after the fire has burned out in the EKO the primary circulator for the boiler is still running because the return water temp coming from storage is above the set point (150°). This is concerns me because it seems like this method of operation is destratifying my storage. The only way I can figure to combat this is to make a fire and return after it has gone out and manually shut off the controller on the EKO so that the primary circulator stops running.

What do you guys think, is this a valid concern?

This has been discussed around the forum before. The problem is your system does not shut off when there isn't any postive heat flow out of the boiler. The storage tank will just keep circulating until the low cutoff temp is reached in the system. The solution is to have the circ shut down while there is still a slightly postive heat flow out of the boiler. The prefered way is to use a differential controller similiar to a solar one that turns on the circ at a certain differential and turns it off at another while the boiler is hotter than the tank.

Mike

If you have a newer EKO with the newer controller you can set your pump "shut-off" temp to be as high as 168 degrees. For me with 1000 gallons of storage rarely does my return temp at the bottom of my tank get above 160. This is a simple way to avoid the cost of adding the differential controller.

Bah, I feel dumb. I take a short hiatus from Hearth and when I come back I turn into that guy who posts a topic that's been discussed repeatedly.

My bad. :)

twofer said:
Bah, I feel dumb. I take a short hiatus from Hearth and when I come back I turn into that guy who posts a topic that's been discussed repeatedly.

My bad. :)

Dont worry about it I get my fire going when tanks around 140* and set my pump launch for 150* after the reading on the boiler is above 170* I change the launch temp to 170* this is as high as it will go so the pump will also shut off at 168ish

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.