EKO first fire...............problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carbon neutral

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2007
S.E. Connecticut
OK, I finished the pex runs today filled the boiler and fire it off, now the new problems begin.
The oil boiler has a coil in it for DHW so I needed to run the wood boiler in series with it in order to have it heat my DHW. The idea was have a normally open zone valve which would recirc hot water through the oil boiler when no zones were calling for heat, when the zones called for heat they would open up and the recirc valve would shut.
I ran two 1" pex lines from the wood boiler to the oil boiler, using a laddomat on the wood boiler to maintain return temperatures. When a zone calls for heat it puts the laddomat under a vacuum, suction side of the pump, so I soldered the check valve on the laddomat shut.
So the problem I am having is one of my pex lines on the discharge from the EKO does not get warm, obviously no flow. To try and see what the restriction is and to rule out a stuck thermostat I took out the thermostat from the laddomat. That didn't help, still no flow on one line. I also tried shutting the valve on the line that is getting hot to try and force flow through the other line, that didn't work. Is the laddomat so restrictivethat it won't allow the piping run I have? The boilers are about 30 apart. My current thought is to put in a circultor and remove the laddomat, use a danfoss or simial to maintain boiler return temps. Any other ideas?
On a side note, the oil boiler will not allow its circ to run unless the boiler is up to temperature. I would like to defete this feature. I imagine the thing to do is jump out the temperature switch, again any thoughts?

My first question - did the laddomat instructions say it was kosher to solder shut the check valve? Second, I think you should post up a quick diagram of how you're plumbed. I'd bet your problems lies somewhere in the way you're trying to route your supply/return through that oil boiler....

Also - you never mentioned what your boiler temp was running during your burn. Were you above the point at which your pump should have started?

Status
Not open for further replies.