EKO Install, Any ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acavanagh

Aug 6, 2008
Lakes Region, Maine
Hi,

We bought an EKO 60 wood gassification unit, and have been having trouble finding someone qualified to install it.

In fact, we have had a few people turn the project down because they think it is beyond their scope. It is a large heating unti (205,000 BTUs) and we plan to also connect pressurized heat storage using some propane tanks that have been intentionally refurbished for this project.

We are in Southern Maine- between Portland and Lewsiton. Does anyone have any suggestions on an installer or how to find one?

If you are mechanically inclined you can get a load of advice here in the forum. Many here have done their own installs and saved a lot of money. Some will even admit to things you should not do so you won't spend needlessly. The hard part about getting pro's to do an install is that for many of them it is out of their field of expertise and those with the expertise are usually back logged. I'm in MI so I can't help but I would. Best to you.........

Mechanically inclined yes, but plumbing inclined, not really. I would love to do it myself, but I fear that something would go terribly wrong.

From what I have seen, it wouldn't be too much piping. It is not as though we are adding extra zones, but it needs to have the vertical dump zone/4 way mixing valve/aqustats/pressure release valves, and although the plumbing seems like it wouldn't be too difficult, I fear that I would make a mistake and cause damage to piping, boiler, or worse, the house. I would need a step by step instruction manual with pictures. It would be hooked up in parallel with our existing oil boiler in the basement, and would be no more than 12 feet from the oil boiler. The basement is large and open and has at least 7.5 feet of clearance from floor to joists so plenty of maneuvarability. The unit will have its own chimney for venting, so the install for anyone who knows what they are doing would be fairly straightforward.

I do appreciate the messege Cave2k.

Andrew, I see that you posted your question in the Hearth Room and the Green Room. Both threads have now been moved over here into the Boiler Room where you've got the best odds of getting some meaningful advice. I'm going to let this one run and delete the other one. Rick

Here's a tidbit for you - if you plumb with black pipe the plumbing is pretty straight forward and the "worst" thing that can really happen is leaky joints. Your install will include pressure relief valves, expansion tanks and other safety equipment. If you follow the guides provided in your EKO manual you'll do fine. It's not as if you'll throw one piece of wood in your boiler and you'll immediately have 100psi of pressure in the system and she'll blow. She'll be full of water long before you start your fires. And you control how much fire you have. Start small, start slow...

Get started, it's not getting any warmer outside any time soon!

nofossel just posted this nice link

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/31195/

I suggest you buy - rent- borrow a couple books to get started - do it yourself or hire == you still going to want to know what is what and if your getting what you need

Sit down and READ them and then lets chat. This is likely the best 80 bucks you will ever spend on your hobby!
http://www.heatinghelp.com/shopcart/product.cfm?category=8-191
add this and your a jump ahead for wiring
http://www.heatinghelp.com/shopcart/product.cfm?category=2-41

or if your really a deep thinker

buy this one - it comes with software
http://store.hydronicpros.com/product.php?qcc=1002&qcp=100

Stee6043 I guess your right. It won't blow, at least not right away. :) We are in no rush to install. We have it sitting in a shed right now. With the price of oil the way it is, it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't get installed this winter. Once we get it into the house through the bulkhead (a job in and of itself), then we may feel the pressure to get it all set up. We have pretty much given up on this winter, but would love to have it all set for next winter. I would assume oil prices will be a tad higher next year.

Sting, I love learning so I appreciate the suggested reading materials. I feel like I know more these gasifiers than the heating guys who do call me back. Its quite sad really. You'd think these guys would be reading up on all the technology related to their field. Its not like this is new technolgoy either. Its true that I just have a basic understanding of how plumbing works, and am missing the more advanced knowledge that I beleive would be essential to tackle this myself. Your right, even if we do find someone to install this beast, what if that person moves/retires/or is busy and something happens a couple years down the road. I think understanding how stuff works is a skill everyone should strive for. When something breaks I always try fixing it myself, and in the process learn a great deal. I think many of the people on this website would fit that model. Once again thanks for the links. I think I might try those out and continue on the quest for an installer.

Any Mainers out there who had one of these beasts installed?

One of our members, Joe Brown, has a heating systems business in southern New Hampshire, I believe. If you're within his operational radius, he might be interested. His handle around here is BrownianHeatingTech. Do an Advanced Search and PM him if you're interested.

Another one, solarguy, is an EKO dealer in New Hampshire, I believe. He might either do installations or be able to recommend someone who will.

Most the work is basic heating system stuff. It only gets a little tricky when you include hot water storage and (for some techs) cold water return protection. The point being that most any competent heating system tech can get you 90% there, if not closer.

If you decide not to do it yourself like I did search long and hard for someone experienced with this sort of system. My first call to my local plumber to get an estimate was 50% more than what it ended up costing from an experienced installer. A friend recently did a complete changeover from oil to gas backup with eko 25 and storage and he did all the work himself. When the guy from Eastern propane showed up to hook up the gas line he asked who the plumber was that did the secondary loops, my friend replied he was, Eastern guy said that would have cost him $25,000 if he did it. Good luck.

Thanks for the contacts Eric. I will run with them and see where it takes me.

I have been quoted $3500 from a guy who has installed the smaller Benjamins and Seton add ons. It didn't seem completely unreasonable to me at the time. He apparently just started working for a company out of Portland that works with Tarms and I think Greenwoods. He has apparently installed a few Tarms, but is unfamiliar with the 220 volt setup that the EKO 60 has, so he would just pipe it and we would have to get someone else to wire it all in. We'll see. I would rather find someone who has installed an EKO. I agree that the piping shouldn't be too difficult for any qualified plumbing/heating person or any serious do-it-yourselfer.

Well that takes care of that. Then he should be all set. I'll let him know. I appreciate that.

I would still like to get someone who has installed the EKO and is familiar with them, but I guess it isn't the end of the world if that isn't possible.

Andrew,
Ask for or present a plumbing schematic that both of you agree on so you can try to figure what needs to be added to the system, what existing parts you can use, and find out if parts are included, also it will give both of you an idea what kind of time and materials is involved with your install..Then if you feel something should be different half way through ask about addons, MAKE SURE THE INSTALLER HAS INSURANCE you never know when something will get damaged by water or other issue, the last thing I can come up with is, when will he start and is there penalities for tartiness if he don't show on time..Good luck and try to learn as much as possible about the install from the installer..Dave

Good advice tacosteeler. I don't know enough about hookup schemes to feel confident enough to present my own. I have seen one from the following site, though this guy doesn't have pressurized storage:

http://www.nofossil.org/heating.html

I hope he doesn't mind me posting this. It is quite informative.

I would expect that most of the plans are similar in nature.

I plan on being right there as much as possible without being irritating. I really do want to learn some plumbing. It is the one area of home improvement where I feel completely inept.

I would plan on getting most of our expectations put into a contract of some sort.

Andrew04039 said:
I have seen one from the following site, though this guy doesn't have pressurized storage:

http://www.nofossil.org/heating.html

I hope he doesn't mind me posting this. It is quite informative.

I would expect that most of the plans are similar in nature.

You can't get much better than this - he's the master and I try to follow his advise whenever I can.

It always amazes me that people take the time to put information on the web. Thank god right, because people like myself count on them for info. I think the diagram is fairly straightforward. The site is outstanding in fact.

If anyone else out there has come across a site with diagrams and info on hooking up a gasifier, I would more than welcome it.

I second S ROB's comment on listening and learning anything you can from NOFOSSIL..Also download the EKO manual from New Horizons is has information you will want to know and a couple of piping diagrams, good payback for people on this site is to hear you are up and running and happy, so keep us updated on your progress people here actually do care..Dave

Will do. I am hoping to be up and running by the spring or summer. Hopefully get all the kinks out before next winter. I appreciate this website and how helpful you all are.

Status
Not open for further replies.