Eko near boiler piping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably the best shot I have (boiler on right). The zone valve (with copper) is not part of the near boiler piping, I was just using it as a holder. And the Taco pump (both actually) is in fact mounted in the wrong orientation in this photo. Other than that, it's pretty much as-is on my system.

3168428925_e9b1557902.jpg

stee6043 said:
This is probably the best shot I have (boiler on right). The zone valve (with copper) is not part of the near boiler piping, I was just using it as a holder. And the Taco pump (both actually) is in fact mounted in the wrong orientation in this photo. Other than that, it's pretty much as-is on my system.

Thanx Stee .I guess you put a coupling above the danfoss afterward . Just thinking about ease of getting it out if it fails. What do you mean wrong orientation! Supply and dicharge backward.
Hows everthing working now. How long does your storage last after its heated . What temps are sending to your HX

Cheers Huff

twitch said:
I have a few pics. Click the link in my signature. I have a Tarm, but I'd think the piping would be similar.

Thanx twitch. are those 1-1/4 tees for your aquastasts bushed down to 3/4 or 1/2. Is that an automag with the red and yellow on it .

Cheers Huff

Huff - They are 1-1/4 tees down to 3/4 for the aquastat well. The valve is a Taco NO zone valve being used the same way an automag would be.

twitch said:
Huff - They are 1-1/4 tees down to 3/4 for the aquastat well. The valve is a Taco NO zone valve being used the same way an automag would be.

1 aquastat for the circ p/p and 1 for the emergency zone dump valve?

Huff

huffdawg said:
twitch said:

1 aquastat for the circ p/p and 1 for the emergency zone dump valve?

Huff

Yes, I have two in the boiler output pipe, 1 for dump zone if the boiler gets too hot, and one to control the circ. There is another one that will turn on my air handler if the dump zone does not get rid of enough heat.

I have an arduino based controller that I haven't got completely hooked up yet. It will be replacing the aquastat functionality but I will leave them in the system set at a higher temp in case the controller craps out. I'm using it to monitor temps for now and have the relays hooked up, just need to wire the pump and other control wires to them.

stee6043 said:

your expansion tank look small with all that storage, is everything running o.k.

woodeater

huffdawg said:
stee6043 said:

Thanx Stee .I guess you put a coupling above the danfoss afterward . Just thinking about ease of getting it out if it fails. What do you mean wrong orientation! Supply and dicharge backward.
Hows everthing working now. How long does your storage last after its heated . What temps are sending to your HX

Cheers Huff

Huff, I didn't install shut-off's at teh Danfoss since the cover comes off to replace the "moving parts". I have shut-off's in every direction within a foot or two of pipe so I can isolate it pretty well to change out the thermostat if required.

Both Taco pumps in my picture need to be rotated 90 degrees to run properly.

I can run 16 hours roughly on storage. I can heat effectively down to about 145 degrees running through the HX...

wood eater said:
stee6043 said:

your expansion tank look small with all that storage, is everything running o.k.

woodeater

That tank is a bit small but these two are not. The previous photo was "during install"...

3169260730_f7436593c8.jpg

twitch said:
I have a few pics. Click the link in my signature. I have a Tarm, but I'd think the piping would be similar.

Its nice to see you can still buy pipe fittings not made in China. Ive looked at home depot,home hardware, the local plumbing wholesaler and I cant find pipe fittings made in the USA. here .
Have you guys down there put an embargo on them or did you use the last of them? :)

Cheers Huff .

stee6043 said:
huffdawg said:
stee6043 said:

Cheers Huff

Huff, I didn't install shut-off's at teh Danfoss since the cover comes off to replace the "moving parts". I have shut-off's in every direction within a foot or two of pipe so I can isolate it pretty well to change out the thermostat if required.

Both Taco pumps in my picture need to be rotated 90 degrees to run properly.

I can run 16 hours roughly on storage. I can heat effectively down to about 145 degrees running through the HX...

Hi Stee ,did you mean 180 degrees im not understanding the 90 degree rotation on the taco p/p 's

How much heat load do you have .

I have just finished burying my 1-1/4 pex and pouring my boiler room foundation. I will start the near boiler piping when I get back from work in two weeks . Thanx for the pics. and tips .

Cheers Huff.

taxidermist said:
click on my blog I have pics let me know if you need any explaining

Rob

Thanx Taxidermist . Nice set up and documentation as well. Im sure I will have some questions in a while .

Cheers Huff

Huff, Taco pumps (and Grundfos for that matter) should be mounted with the motor "housing" parrellel to the ground, not perpendicular like mine are in this picture. I corrected it after this photo was taken. Both motors were rotated 90 degrees to be proper...

My average heat load is in the 22,000btu/hr ball park. Peak loads are mid 40k.

Stee , Do you know the pros and cons of using black pipe versus copper on the near boiler piping. Seems like most use black pipe.

How many square feet is your place.

On a side note I was looking at your saw . What do you cut with an 18" bar is it some sort of competion saw .
I dont like any thing less than a 36" bar as there a are a lot of big trees here and I dont like bending down to cut the smaller rounds.

Cheers Huff

Huff - easy answer on the choice of pipe: Cost. Black pipe costs a fraction of what copper does. Also, I'm no pipe sweater. Any fool with a big enough wrench and enough pipe dope/teflon tape can make black pipe plumbing work leak-free.

I heat 3200 square feet. 2003 built home.

My saw is nothing fancy. Run of the mill Stihl MS310. I run full chisel chain on an 18" bar and love every second of it. I've dropped a few trees a touch bigger than 18" but never have really had a need for a bigger bar...

stee6043 said:

Hi stee , im trying to figure out whats after your danfoss (to the right and the up vertically about 3'. I cant make out the fittings in the pic.

thanx Huff

Immediately to the right of the Danfoss is a ball valve for throttling the bypass. After the 90 degree turn vertical there are just nipples and couplings until the top. Near the top T is my pressure relief valve (before the downspout was installed).

Status
Not open for further replies.