electric heat pump maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micaaronfl

Dec 5, 2010
pennsylvania
hello all,

i just brought a house with an electrci heat pump, i live in PA - i know it sucks to live in PA with an electric heat pump but i have little options.

For those that have electrci heat pumps are there any yearly maintenenaces that you need to do aside form changing the filters?

I'm guessing you mean an air source, (not ground source) forced air system with just a outside unit like an air conditioner. Some of the ground source types would require regular HX cleaning but you probably just have the more common air source type. If so, nothing more to maintain other than what a normal central air conditioner would require. I change my filters every 1 to 3 months depending on how high a quality filter I use. I believe some air handlers use a cartridge type that is a yearly change however. Basically keeping things clean on the outside unit and a little shop vac work around the air handler is all I do. An HVAC company would probably do an annual checkup just to make sure everything works if you wanted piece of mind. Unless a component fails, I don't know what else would need to be done. No chimney to clean, burners, gas lines to inspect, etc. like other systems would have.

yeah just a forced air, sounds good just making sure if there was anything i should be doing annually.

Status
Not open for further replies.