electric splitter help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
hopefully someone can give me some answers... i have a small electric ( 5 ton splitter ) i bought from lowes last year.. i put about 5 - 6 cords through it.. well........ it is starting to weaken... ( i know its a cheapy ) but fluids look good and its in decent shape... only a year 1/2 old..... any suggestions?

Using a heavy gauge cord?

You'll probably get more responses posting this in the "Gear" forum, not the "Wood Shed".

DanCorcoran said:
You'll probably get more responses posting this in the "Gear" forum, not the "Wood Shed".

This IS the Gear section.

the valve is open, the motor doesnt seem to be struggling but its not pushing as hard as it use too...

Occo370 said:
the valve is open, the motor doesnt seem to be struggling but its not pushing as hard as it use too...

Sounds a lot like me.

I'm not quite sure I understand the symptoms. If it's not struggling, what is your indication that it is not pushing as hard as it use to? Is the wood different? If the wood is dryer, straighter grain, etc, it would be easier to split and therefore would not have to bear down like it would with another type of wood.

its not splitting efficiently anymore... wish i could explain better.. i guess it is struggling as you said.. it pushed but doesn't split.

I don't know anything about your hydraulics, but some hydraulic systems, the pressure can be adjusted. It may have gotten out of adjustment. But these small systems may not have pressure relief exterior to the pump.

I haven't used my electric splitter in a while, but as I recall, if it gets stuck, it retracts.
Is yours doing this, only it seems sooner than it used to?
Maybe air got in the system and it has to be bled?

velvetfoot said:
I haven't used my electric splitter in a while, but as I recall, if it gets stuck, it retracts.
Is yours doing this, only it seems sooner than it used to?
Maybe air got in the system and it has to be bled?

Good point. Make sure the wrist pin on the piston rod is higher than the closed end of the cylinder.

Check your oil level. Any oil spots under it?

To break it down as simple as possible - not pushing as hard = less pressure. Less pressure is caused by 1 or more of a few things:
1.) Pump not creating pressure.
2.) pressure is being bled off (relief valve), or bypassing (seals)

The first step in trouble shooting this for me would be to put a gauge on the system to see what the system pressure is currently running. It may be as simple as an adjustment on the relief valve, but you won't know (and won't want to adjust) without a gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.