Electric Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluttermagnet

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2008
Mid Atlantic
I got myself one of those Homelite 5 ton splitters this past month. Have now had a chance to use it a few times, so far on Tulip Poplar and some White Oak. I got mine for 299. at Home Depot (online) and the shipping was free to my home. It arrived in good shape with the shipping box intact. BTW they had zero stock at our local HD about a mile away- even though the website claimed they did. So far I'm liking this little splitter a lot.

Seems a lot of guys who buy this one are pretty happy at the price/performance point compromise these represent. I've had enough time on big gas hydraulic rental splitters (vertical) to know how a more expensive rig performs. I love 'em but I can't afford one of those myself. I think this little electric is going to do most of what I need, though.

There are a number of good threads in these forums about electric splitters. Those helped me a lot in reaching my own decision. Here's one:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/homelite-5-ton-electric-splitter-review.78864/#post-1004757

One piece of information I might add to what's already in the forum- Homelite has now moved the power cord from the right end of the electrical box to the top. It's to the right of the green power button. This will make it a lot less vulnerable to having the plastic cord clamp broken off by a bigger split falling on it. It's easy to dress that cord up, over to the left, and back down, so it comes out at the end of the splitter, on the ground underneath the hydraulic valve (red handle).

73c4b021-3c66-4b75-a2aa-90f0091e5230_300.jpg
SplitterACcord.jpg

I have one also, nice! Don't forget the wing nut to be loosened on the ram for pressure relief!

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
Yep- some folks have apparently blown these up by forgetting that little detail. It will blow internal seals. The vast majority seem to be happy with theirs.

I've used my Homelite for 2+ years...kept me going and split lots of firewood. It split some big rounds, though extra work was needed. The wife bought me a 27 ton Ariens this past Labor day, so the Homelite now handles nice small stuff near the boiler.

Best $299 I ever spent.

Thanks! Glad you liked yours. The Ariens is a great step up!

BTW I have a question on the fluid these hydraulic splitters use. This model has a dipstick. I do check it occasionally and I do remember to open the bleed before using and close it back up before putting it away. The other day it looked like it's getting low on the dipstick- down near the lower line. I've never in my life bought hydraulic oil before. Wondering if I can find that in a big box hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes? How about Walmart? Or is this more of a Tractor Supply type item? I've been buying my bar oil from Wally World all along. Can someone give me a clue as to what the label would say? "Hydraulic Fluid SAE nnn" or whatever? I heard some guys used brake fluid in a pinch, but I'd rather go get exactly the right thing for my splitter.

Maybe some of the fluid has leaked? I remember reading a review comment that the splitter ought to be set on a slight incline. Come to think of it, I've had it pointing slightly down towards the bleed valve end while running. Maybe I need to have that end a little higher than the other end instead?

BTW I have a question on the fluid these hydraulic splitters use. This model has a dipstick. I do check it occasionally and I do remember to open the bleed before using and close it back up before putting it away. The other day it looked like it's getting low on the dipstick- down near the lower line. I've never in my life bought hydraulic oil before. Wondering if I can find that in a big box hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes? How about Walmart? Or is this more of a Tractor Supply type item? I've been buying my bar oil from Wally World all along. Can someone give me a clue as to what the label would say? "Hydraulic Fluid SAE nnn" or whatever? I heard some guys used brake fluid in a pinch, but I'd rather go get exactly the right thing for my splitter.

Maybe some of the fluid has leaked? I remember reading a review comment that the splitter ought to be set on a slight incline. Come to think of it, I've had it pointing slightly down towards the bleed valve end while running. Maybe I need to have that end a little higher than the other end instead?

I've had mine 4 years, it uses a small amount of oil, I believe this may be true of all hydraulics. I don't bother to close the bleed screw except when transporting in a vehicle, too much chance of forgetting to reopen it. I use generic "hydraulic oil", works fine. There's no high pressure or low/high temperature stuff going on here, so general purpose oil is fine. Be sure to set the splitter level or with the ram end a little high, otherwise you get oil starvation at the pump. You can tell when this is happening by a sort of rattling noise from the pump and loss of power/ slow ram speed. I put foot pedals on mine to allow hands-free operation. Easier on the back and allows better control of the wood. Of course, you have to be smarter than the splitter.

Foot Pedals.jpg

I have a different make splitter, but my owner's manual specifies the oil to use.

Mine didn't specify the oil. I ended up buying generic figuring a slightly off oil was better than no oil.

Matt

Thanks, guys-

My manual just refers to replacing the 3.4 quarts of fluid with "fresh hydraulic oil" on page 11 of the manual. The service interval is 150 hours. So anyway I'll just pick up some generic oil and 'top it off' for now.

Mine gives the following options: Shell Tellus 22, Mobil DTE 11, ARAL Vitam GF22, and BP Energol HLP-HM22.

I've had mine 4 years, it uses a small amount of oil, I believe this may be true of all hydraulics. I don't bother to close the bleed screw except when transporting in a vehicle, too much chance of forgetting to reopen it. I use generic "hydraulic oil", works fine. There's no high pressure or low/high temperature stuff going on here, so general purpose oil is fine. Be sure to set the splitter level or with the ram end a little high, otherwise you get oil starvation at the pump. You can tell when this is happening by a sort of rattling noise from the pump and loss of power/ slow ram speed. I put foot pedals on mine to allow hands-free operation. Easier on the back and allows better control of the wood. Of course, you have to be smarter than the splitter.

Thanks, Craig- Enjoyed your previous posts about the Homelite. I was surprised to see how much these little splitters will take. I like your foot pedals. I'm likely to try that myself, staying of course very aware of the need for total attention while splitting. The button and lever are of course safety features that keep the operator from sustaining bad crush injuries to hands and fingers.

I've never heard rattling noises or anything else that would give me concern. Recently I have run it pointing very slightly downhill towards the wedge end. I would instinctively want to have it tilted the opposite way. I think the motor end would best be kept a little lower. Is that what you mean by the "ram end", or are you referring to the wedge end?

I may try building a little table to get it about a foot higher. That table would include a fold-out ramp to roll the wheels up when getting set up. I think I'll also try making a wood ramp to put behind the splitter. I want to try using tongs or a hookeroon to skid heavier rounds up the ramp and onto those rails. Strained my side muscles a little just the other day. Minor injury but annoying. This splitter is causing me to use some muscle groups in new ways. No doubt vertical gas splitters are the best way to go in that regard.

Mine gives the following options: Shell Tellus 22, Mobil DTE 11, ARAL Vitam GF22, and BP Energol HLP-HM22.

I'll write those numbers down and have them with me when I start shopping for this item. Thanks!

I've never heard rattling noises or anything else that would give me concern. Recently I have run it pointing very slightly downhill towards the wedge end. I would instinctively want to have it tilted the opposite way. I think the motor end would best be kept a little lower. Is that what you mean by the "ram end", or are you referring to the wedge end?

Yes, the ram end is the wedge end. The pump is at the end with the motor, if that end is high and the oil level is a little low, you will experience starvation and cavitation at the pump, resulting in slow movement and reduced power.

Loved mine... and concur with everything above. Only problem I had was the hydraulic oil seems only to come in gallon+ jugs, making a 'top-off' a pain in the rear.

I picked up a Yard Works 4 ton last week on sale for $199, split a little over a cord this morning and love it so far!
She took on some gnarly pieces and worked great. I'd still love a gas powered splitter but for the price and how quiet it is I can't say a bad thing yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.