Electric splitters??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
I just bought a 5 ton electric splitter from lowes. It's my second yer burning. I am a complete 100% scrounger. I want to know if others are using these splitters. And opinions.

How many Ton where u thinking

My small 5 ton works well on softwood and 12-18 or maybe a bit bigger hardwoods like fresh oak. But I would like something with bigger b@lls. But fir the price I split a few cords of pine and 1 of oak alreeady. For the price it's just fine. By the way they do make bigger. Harbor freight sells them

Hi, I got one about a Month ago. So far it has been working good. Have used it with Ash, Walnut, Maple and some got me wood. I have gotten it to some real hard pieces where it did what I would call "vented" It would try but it would get stuck then it vented. I had to whack the log off the wedge. Just tried a different spot and it went right thru it. So far real happy with the way it works. Thinking about a ramp to roll the logs onto it. Enjoy your new toy.

I bought one from Lowes this year and have been splitting pine and some apple with it. For the price and the size, I am well pleased.

Doug

wood spliter said:
I'm thinking I might better off with the 10 ton manual splitter form Northern tool. Its $105

It will sure give your arms a workout. Also is going to be slower.

I bought a used electric a few weeks ago and although it's slow as sin, I love it. I can split faster by hand if I only have 30 minutes or so to spend doing it, but if I have several hours of time to split, then I'll split by hand until I'm tired and then start using the electric. It's nice to have that option. I have quite a mix of wood types and round lengths and sizes, and overall, it seems to split about 75% of what i give it.

I have the 10 ton manual splitter. I think it sucks. way too much work & way too slow.

Then I bought a 4 ton electric limb splitter. Not a log splitter because its too weak to split logs, but it does ok on small limbs. Still too slow and too much work. a toy at best.

Now I use a huskey 22 ton 6.5 hp b&s engine & this is opperator easy & fast.

paid 1250.oo for it & glad i did. Saving my time & energy is worth a lot to me.

Oh yes, I still have the sledges & wedges because some trunk ends are just too heavy to get to the log splitter without quartering them first.

The key is ,i believe, opperator easy. If a machine knocks you out opperating it & you have to spend the next day in bed recovering from the over work out, get a machine that does more of the work for you.

There are , after all , other things in life besides log splitting & you need to have some time & energy left for them too.

So a better log splitter that does more of the work for you, faster & easier , it a wise investment , so that you have some time & energy left over to do your income tax return with.

Status
Not open for further replies.