Electric vs Gas Power Washer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I bought a gas power washer a few years ago when they were a fad.
I've used it about 4 times.
I was thinking of trading it (if possible) for an electric model which I might use a little more and might be more practical to store, etc.

Any opinions?

The electric will probably be lower pressure so it depends what one is pressure washing. Lower pressure can be a good thing for a lot of common applications like car washing, siding and patio washing. If you are wanting to blast old flaky paint off siding or a slimy winter film off of some pavers, then the higher pressure gas unit is better. But for most homeowner chores, electric makes sense. It pollutes a lot less and is one less thing to maintain.

I've got a Honda powered Husky power washer. I can't imagine going back to electric. I think you'd be kicking yourself if you go electric and find yourself wanting a little more pressure somewhere down the road...

We have both types and use the electric ten times as much as the gas....mainly for the reasons BeGreen said.

Homeowner class power washers are like 1800 to 2200 psi I think. The new electric ones offer the same psi but they move less water (gph). Think of it like a sand blaster....less water coming out the electric is less abrasive hitting whatever you want to clean. I'm not knocking the idea because I think I am going to sell my gas one and get an electric one as it should be more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.