Electric wood splitter 16 ton +

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
Does anyone have any experience with a Ram electric wood splitter ? http://www.ramsplitter.com/ModelH16.html

I am considering purchasing either the 16 ton or the 20 ton.

I would be using it to split 2 or 3 cord a year, I like the Horizontal / Vertical feature ( easy on the back )and the low maintenance.

Are there any other brands of electric wood splitters with this tonnage ?
What kind of maintenance do they require ?

Thanks

You may be able to download the operator/maintenance manual from their web site.
I think 16 ton would do anything my 22 t speeco does but the extra HP is nice for some wood.

20 ton Ram was the one I looked at when I got mine a few years ago. Shipping killed the deal for me here in AK.
Got a gasoline powered one locally. Looked hard at the Electrics though. Quieter for sure.
I'd go 20 Ton if the price isn't too much more. Check Amps & get extension cord big enough,
#12 wire at least & #10 if over 50 feet is a good idea.

I have the 16 ton/ 3.5 inch, ram electric, H/V from Ramsplitter, and for my purposes, homeowner, it is fine.

I have the older model, pulling 20 amps at 120 volts that I had to rewire to 220 so as not to blow breakers on start up. Mine has a 50 foot 12 gauge extension cord, and it always starts even below zero, literally at the flick of a switch.

It does not have a motor roar, but has a pump whine. It is the same pitch, but much less intense than the noise on the utube video. You can talk, listen to radio very easily. The loudest noise is hear the wood get torn apart. Note that I have a 1750 rpm motor/pump, so the 3600 rpm motor on four inch ram will probably be louder. The oil does not heat up. The ram cycle time, unloaded is fourteen seconds if that is important.

I was at demo day for a farm supply shop and they had a gas splitters in their parking lot. I could not believe the noise they made and could see the need for ear protection.

The motor mounted switch was too light, and I replaced it with a heavier 20 amp switch. Get the splitting trays, handy, even though they are on the small side. Get the four way wedge because for kindling, you can produce a handful per cycle.

The splitter has an eighteen inch ram, twenty inch opening, so it is designed for that length or less wood. It's work height is 24 inches, which causes me to bend over some, but just the right height for lifting a larger round on the beam.

You can work it from either side as the valve is on top. I replaced the tractor hitch with a "T" pull made from threaded pipe so that I can pull it around my wood area by walking backyards. For distance, I just roll it into the back of my 1/4 ton pickup. For the woods, I take my generator along,but that gives me lights so that I can work at night after work.

It gets borrowed all the time, we just plug it into a drier outlet.

Hope this helps, Dave

We are a dealer with Ramsplitters and we have no more issues from the gas to the electric. We are a sponsor for the this site as well. You can see our link up top when it comes though. Also we have the best prices of anyone on line for Ram splitters. You can click on the link below to look at the prices we have if you decide to get one.

I have the 16 ton unit. Have had it for about 2 years now. I picked it up at the manufacturer's place of business (about 1 hour from me). I'm a residential user. I don't think MY electric unit is suitable for a commercial application.

I have pushed about 6 cords through it so far. It has worked pretty flawlessly for me. A couple of comments.

I re-wired mine for 240 volts. I use a 100 foot, 10 gauge cord with twist lock connectors. The unit came with a pig tail that I had to wire a plug to.

The on/off switch on the motor came loose after about 3 months of use. I had to re-secure it. It's fine now.

The guide for the splitting wedge is worn. I will need to get a new piece of bar stock to install to keep the wedge running straight. I think that in the future, I'll lubricate the slide every hour or so. I think this was a large part of the problem in wearing out the guide.

So far, so good. Very quiet compared to gas. No emissions (makes me feel good). I'd buy one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.