Electrical question and backup generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbcijim

Mar 10, 2008
Schuylkill County, Pa
I have 3# sump pumps that I have to keep running in high water, which happens a couple times a year. I have a drop ceiling in my basement so one of my thoughts is run extension cords permanently to all 3 sump pumps and run them to a generator so I can plug it in should I need it.

I had a very experienced farmer (72), who I know can make anything work give me an idea this weekend. Get a male to male 220V plug. Plug generator into dryer outlet. Turn off all circuits I don't need and obviously the main feed to the house (most important). I fully understand I can kill a lineman should I allow the power to run out into the public line and would never let that happen. He says I can run the whole house doing it this way, or at least as big as my generator.

Thoughts? Will this work?

The farmer has it right, but there is a legal and safe way to do what he is telling you. You need to add this little tab of metal to your panel called a generator interlock. It makes the whole backfeed scenario legal. You won't use your dryer outlet but you will put a male outlet on the outside of your house somewhere. This will be a plug-in for your home so you don't need to make a double ended male cord.

Look up generator interlock kits and you can see how cheap, safe, and easyit is. Best part is that you can power anything in your home. So your furnace, sump pumps, fridges, even the water heater if you have enough of a genset. All without futzing with double ended cords or individual extension cords.

That's awesome! Thanks so much for posting that. Better yet I'll pay a professional a couple hundred bucks and make sure it's done right! Your way sounds a 100 times easier.

I had my interlock all inspected and approved by the state. It's the real deal and hard to imagine a better way.

Status
Not open for further replies.