Elm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfisher

Apr 2, 2009
Michigan thumb
Split some Elm I cut from my friends house and it made the splitter work hard. Man thats some nasty twisted stuff

2009_0907picsyard0019.jpg

2009_0907picsyard0021.jpg

drop one for my son-in-law hes saying the same thing i left after the cutting was done and left the splitter for him

The worst. I split that as a kid (by hand) in upstate NY when Dutch Elm disease was doing them in. We had 3 or 4 huge ones - pretty grand trees. Summers were never quite the same without 'em.

It does burn nice though! The stringys catch quick!

I hate Elm, sometimes it gets so pulverized you can't even stack it or load it in a stove.

Yeah big pita to split...at least around here our elm trees are dying in 6-8" diameter. Not quite the burden they were 30 years ago.

A hydraulic splitter with the wedge sharpened like an axe will split the elm better by cutting more and tearing less. But only better and not great. The cutting will make the spits better for stacking. Red elm puts out about 22 million btu per cord which is just a little below red/black oak.

We split some every year. I have a bunch to burn this year. Like Todd, I usually get some nasty stuff and those just go out on the brush pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.