empty the sidearm for summer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssupercoolss

Jan 28, 2008
southeast pa
like the title says - should i empty my sidearm for the summer? like with the boiler not running will the hot water heater now be trying to heat the water in the zone for the sidearm?

I heat the DHW with Solar, which works very well from about Mar 1-Nov 1. The DHW can easily be warmer than the boiler water on any sunny day in the shoulder season, and yes it will reverse thermo siphon. So, I put a swing gate check valve to prevent reverse flow in the lower line that connects the tank to the side arm. I can also valve both lines off, but thats a bother since it could happen anytime.

A lot of pipe insulation really helps too.

The sidearm holds a tiny volume of water compared to any DHW. Pretty sure it's not worth worrying about, especially if your sidearm is insulated and you have zone valve(s) that you can turn off to prevent heating the entire boiler loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.