Enamel paint that can be used on stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2009
West of Boston, MA
I am having my stove installed tomorrow and I am so excited! I have put up with lots of naysayers but I am doing it. The stove was given to me, 1985ish VC Resolute with two doors. I does look like it could use some enamel paint on the top where it is chipped off although it does not appear chipped but there are white or cream colored areas on the top that if repainted would look great, it is a brown emamel.
Anyone know where I can get brown enamel paint that will not melt or go on fire on top of stove> Someone suggested automobile engine paint but not sure it comes in brown. I have some wood to go in but only about a day or two's worth so have to get some kiln dried wood so can go now and burn and buy wood for next year in the spring.
IF anyone can think of a product to repaint these areas on the top of the older stove let me know please.

I had to refinish my stove it was covered in light surface rust from sitting in a vacant garage. I used a wire wheel to remove all the rust and painted with high temp Rustoleum spray paint. Not sure if it comes in brown. I would think High Temp engine paint (over 1000 degrees) should work but it's probably pricey. The Rustoleum is $8 a can.

I just ordered high temp paint (good to 1200 degrees) from an outfit in Everett MA who makes it but the guy did not know where you could buy it except from them, weird but... so it is being UPS shipped to me. I only need a little but you have to buy a can (spray) or can of brush paint so will have lots left over if anyone needs a dark Brown color. It is flat paint but they have a gloss that can go over it so that is what I will do so it does not look too bad.
VC had their stoves in enamel and in black flat so this is a Brown enamel so will try to bring it back to the color it should be.

Doh. In the future, go to pep boys or autozone or napa. Both brake caliper and engine paint withstand temps well above anything you're going to see on the outside of the stove while burning wood.

yes you are correct BUT I wanted it in Dark Brown and cost about the same and it looks like it will very close match. Thanks for the reply.

Try Sherwin-Williams Industrial. Even if they don't have a hi-temp in stock in the right color, they can often mix it for you. I don't know what they charge, but the bike shop around the corner has some pretty wild colors on the engine parts they build and paint with S-W.

GREAT idea!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.