energy king 450EKB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2009
WV
Anybody running one of these boilers? Opinions or thoughts on this stove. it is very reasonably priced at 4100 and I have read no bad comments about the company

I have an older model of this boiler. It has no fan for the draft air, and is slightly smaller than the 450ekb other than that the differences would be minimal. I purchased this boiler used 2 years ago and have not burned one drop of propane since. I am very pleased with it. I am heating 3000 sq. ft. plus DHW. My house is older and not well insulated the energy king heats it all with no problem. I can load it up in the morning and still have a good bed of coals and hot water when i get home from work, typically 12 hours latter. In northern MN it can get very cold for weeks straight. This winter we had the better part of 3 weeks that stayed well below zero with lows near -40. In this cold weather I sometimes had to rekindle the fire in the evening, but the house stayed warm and the water temp seldom dropped below 100 so it warmed back up fast when re-fired.

This heating season I will use about 8 cords of back ash firewood that was not seasoned long enough, If I had better wood I expect I would have used less.

The boiler burns the wood well there is little charcoal in the ash, for the most part it burns it to a fine clean ash. The boiler is a little on the smokey side. This is the only complaint that I have. I am going to make my chimney taller. I have a natural downdraft caused by a treeline, the prevailing wind blows the smoke right down the roof line in front of the door and garage and across the front yard. Perhaps the forced air draft will stop this problem?

Hope I helped, Good Luck
Blockhead

Status
Not open for further replies.