England’s Stve Works 25-EPI Pipe type and install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhot1

Mar 4, 2011
Southern Maryland
Hello, I'm new here and have already seen some great information on this Forum. My questions are these. Recently I purchased a England's Stove Works 25-EPI Pellet Stove Insert. Knowing from reading the install sheet I understand even though I already have a Masonary Chimney, I have to run new pipe from the stove to the top of the chimney cap for what is called a Full Chimney relining. My existing chimney is over 15', and I would say more like 30' from the chimney opening floor to the top of the chimney itself.

The install sheet tells me I need to increase the the diameter from 3" to 4" for the exhaust (Smoke) side, and from 2" to 3" on the Outside Air side if the Chimney is over 15', which it is.

My questions are these.

1) Where is the best place to purchase what I need? And are there Kits you can buy for the most part if you know all of the measurements and what you need. Or are you just better off figuring what you need, and buying it by the part? 2) Is there any benefit using the twist lock double wall pipe over this other pipe I've seen which is a flex type, and looks to be a single thickness for the exhaust side? 3) The stove Insert came with a 6' piece of outside air pipe (which is too small). But would anyone say the best way to install this outside air pipe is to run it to the chimney cap as well? I ask this because of two reasons. One is part of my chimney runs through my garage, and I really don't want to run it through there which would save money because I do use flammable spray cleaners while doing on automobile repairs. So I already know I can't nor do I want to do that. 4) As far as this outside air goes, what is the best pipe to use for that? 5) The install shows me a Block Off Plate used right where the masonry flu pipe starts up the chimney. Being I don't want to drill into the Flu Pipe (I might want to sell the house one day. I wouldn't want some Housing Inspector saying the Chimney is ruined because of these holes drilled through it) What I'm thinking about is installing this Block Off Plate using a decent 1/16th mild steel plate with legs welded under it so they rest on the floor of the existing fireplace. I understand I'd need to keep it out of the way of the stove and the piping, but think it would actually help support the weight of the twist lock piping by installing support clamps around the pipe and having them rest on the top of this plate because the pipe run is so long.

When asking about this so called Flex Pipe for the exhaust side, I'm almost wondering if I would be better off just buying the twist lock pipe if for nothing else, cleaning? I know it cost more, but in the long run do you think I'd be better off using that and not this cheaper flex pipe?

I know I'm going to have a small fortune in pipe and materials alone by the time I complete this job. But by doing this myself I can knock a bunch of money off of the cost if I hired a contractor. Oh, my experience is I spent 20 plus years in the Construction Building Trades. I know my way around tools and have always worked with my hands.

I know I wrote a Book, Sorry! But I'd rather make sure I tried to think of everything to ask. Please add any suggestions because I would rather do this right the first time. It's better off doing it that way. And much cheaper in the long run. There is a lot of experience on here, and I am going to need that to learn more from.

Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.