Englander 13 - Glass and Door Gasket w/PICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delp

Jan 6, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
Build date of the stove is November, 2008, but I bought it new at HD February, 2011. So, this is my first season burning after a summer install.

The glass is really clean except for the two bottom corners, so I took a close look at the gasket yesterday and noticed that they are a bit loose at both those corners. It looks like at the factory they installed the glass gasket beginning at a corner, but the brackets that hold the glass and gasket do not extend to the corners, thus the left corner being especially sooty. Then, I noticed that along the bottom of the face of the stove, where the door gasket presses, it is really sooty too.

I'm pretty sure I should replace the glass gasket but what do you think about the door gasket?

Does anyone know if this would be covered under the 1st year of Englander's warranty? It sorta hurts to have to spend over $50 to replace these gaskets during the first year of having the stove.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7980.jpg
    IMG_7980.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_7984.jpg
    IMG_7984.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 179
The bottom corners are the hardest place to clean w/ the airwash.

Are you sure that it is not sealing and isn't just an appearance thing? My gasket in my 30 looks just like that. W/ the stove running, I'd take a blown out match (that's smoking), the flame from a grill lighter, the smoke from a cigarette, an incense stick, etc and bring it near that spot on the outside. When running, if there is a leak there you'll see the smoke or flame get sucked in.

If it doesn't, then it's just normal.

pen

i love experiments! will try this out. although the (sorry, soft focus) corner one really is flapping and the glass face and edge are very visible. I'll try the smoke test as soon as I burn again. thanks!

Take a straight edge, like a long ruler or yardstick, and put it flat against where that gasket makes contact on the bottom of the front of the stove and see if it is flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.